FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - British Attacks Thwarted?
View Single Post
Old Nov 24, 2004, 6:45 am
Jenbel
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by bdschobel
It's great to have a skeptical public, too! The U.K. has that; the U.S. does not. Far too many Americans believe that anything done in the name of "security" is just fine. Strip naked in Central Park? Sure, if it keeps me safe! A nation of idiots!

Bruce
We are skeptical of the government..very few believed Tony before the war, and even fewer believe him now. But I don't think we'd be any better on security things though - the British are great believers in queues and uniforms I think the big complaint about the introduction of the id thing would be the cost, not the civil liberties of it all - although questions are being asked in the media about why if it is good for preventing terrorism a) why didn't we have them sooner (after all, we had a terrorist campaign for about 20 years... ) and b) why if it is so effective, was there a terrorist attack in Spain, which already had id cards.

The other point to consider is that with an election due next year, this programme outlined in the Queen's Speech is not going to be implemented.. I don't think ID cards are going to go away, as Blunkett (spit) has been pushing them for years now, but there are other measures listed which won't see the light of day.