FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Complimentary Upgrades on Delta, the Definitive Thread
Old May 10, 2022, 8:37 am
ijgordon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SUPERTRAVEL
As a Medallion member, I'm entitled to unlimited 1st Class upgrades. And since I'm Platinum, the chart says this begins 120 hours (5 days) prior to departure.
My question pertains to moving from an existing seat to a 1st Class seat. At 120 hours, is this a change I can initiate myself on the Delta.com seat map for my flight(s) or is this something that I have to hope Delta's computer will do in priority order? (I realize that 1st Class seats may not be available or blocked-out.) Thanks.
The way to think about this is that you MAY be upgraded STARTING AT T-120 hours. Whether it happens or not will depend on (a) how many first class seats remain available, (b) how many FC seats DL thinks it will sell in the next 120 hours [(a)-(b) being the # of upgrades cleared], and (c) how many higher-priority elites are on the flight. It will happen automatically (excluding the earlier mention of a connecting flight, which did happen to me recently). Usually if you go and just try to move your seat to FC, it will offer you to pay for the upgrade, even if within the window. And of course (a) and (b) above are dynamic, and as those figures change closer to departure, more upgrades may be cleared. (c) is dynamic of course as well.