Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Upgrades on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Old Feb 1, 2022, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Index of DL forum threads on how to sit up front

Complimentary Upgrades

How do comp upgrades work?

This is the thread you are currently reading for questions including but not limited to
  • I'm new to status and upgrades, how do I request a comp upgrade?
  • when will my name appear on the list? when will I clear?
  • do I need to do anything if my status went up since I booked?
  • when will my name show up on the list?
  • why is my position so low?
  • oddities/anomalies involving the upgrade list
  • and so on
Upgrade Success/Failure
Use this thread for posting or researching data points pertaining to complimentary upgrades (how many were on the list, your position, whether you cleared, etc.) Medallion Complimentary Upgrades on AeroMexico

Upgrades on AeroMexico flights (Consolidated Thread)

Certificate Upgrades

Global Upgrade Certificates (GUCs)
Regional Upgrade Certificates (RUCs)
Buying Up Using Cash

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Using SkyMiles for Upgrades
Upgrading With Companions

Upgrading w/companions, eligibility, timing, Sep 2020 onward (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Complimentary Upgrades on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Old May 9, 2022, 7:55 pm

Programs: DL PM
International upgrades from Main to C+

I am booking a trip to EDI from SEA, looking at various connecting options. All of them have C+ class of service. I'm a Plat. Do I understand correctly that I get upgraded from Main to C+ on any flight that has a C+ class of service? I know that's what the Delta site says but I have a nagging recollection that such upgrades were only for domestic legs at one time. And the same would be true for my companion on the same PNR? Thanks.
Old May 10, 2022, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yes for any DL flight that has C+ "upgrade" inventory.
Old May 10, 2022, 8:19 am

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
Unlimited First Class Upgrades Question

As a Medallion member, I'm entitled to unlimited 1st Class upgrades. And since I'm Platinum, the chart says this begins 120 hours (5 days) prior to departure.
My question pertains to moving from an existing seat to a 1st Class seat. At 120 hours, is this a change I can initiate myself on the Delta.com seat map for my flight(s) or is this something that I have to hope Delta's computer will do in priority order? (I realize that 1st Class seats may not be available or blocked-out.) Thanks.
Old May 10, 2022, 8:24 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It should be automatic if there's sufficient upgrade inventory after everyone ahead of you in the priority order has been upgraded. Don't expect many upgrades at 120 hours.
Old May 10, 2022, 8:26 am

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by SUPERTRAVEL
As a Medallion member, I'm entitled to unlimited 1st Class upgrades. And since I'm Platinum, the chart says this begins 120 hours (5 days) prior to departure.
My question pertains to moving from an existing seat to a 1st Class seat. At 120 hours, is this a change I can initiate myself on the Delta.com seat map for my flight(s) or is this something that I have to hope Delta's computer will do in priority order? (I realize that 1st Class seats may not be available or blocked-out.) Thanks.
you can only do this if there is upgradable inventory space (OU) at the time of your window. There are some anecdotal reports of people being able to move themselves on a second leg if they were able to clear on the first leg at T-120. You can always try but youre not gaming the system per se.
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.
Old May 10, 2022, 8:28 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
An upgrade at 120 hours is getting infrequent enough for Diamond members, must be truly rare for PMs.
Old May 10, 2022, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As Plat, I'm about 50% for upgrades at 120 hours and 50% for #85 on the airport standby list. Feast or famine...
Old May 10, 2022, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yes for any DL flight that has C+ "upgrade" inventory.
Hmm, that's not quite what the Delta site says. It reads: "Medallion Members are eligible for and rewarded with Unlimited Complimentary Upgrades to Delta Comfort+ and First Class on all routes where the products are available." No mention of "upgrade inventory" needing to be available. Do you have some confirmation for that restriction? Thanks for any clarification you can give.
Old May 10, 2022, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by vbjd1111
Hmm, that's not quite what the Delta site says. It reads: "Medallion Members are eligible for and rewarded with Unlimited Complimentary Upgrades to Delta Comfort+ and First Class on all routes where the products are available." No mention of "upgrade inventory" needing to be available. Do you have some confirmation for that restriction? Thanks for any clarification you can give.
It's well known that upgrade inventory is required, although often this is no restriction for domestic C+ "upgrades."
Old May 10, 2022, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SUPERTRAVEL
The way to think about this is that you MAY be upgraded STARTING AT T-120 hours. Whether it happens or not will depend on (a) how many first class seats remain available, (b) how many FC seats DL thinks it will sell in the next 120 hours [(a)-(b) being the # of upgrades cleared], and (c) how many higher-priority elites are on the flight. It will happen automatically (excluding the earlier mention of a connecting flight, which did happen to me recently). Usually if you go and just try to move your seat to FC, it will offer you to pay for the upgrade, even if within the window. And of course (a) and (b) above are dynamic, and as those figures change closer to departure, more upgrades may be cleared. (c) is dynamic of course as well.
Old May 10, 2022, 9:01 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
The system is screwy, non-transparent, and essentially broken.

ATL-EYW yesterday had only three seats sold in a 12 seat F cabin, so nine people (including me, yay) cleared at the gate. For the life of me, I don't understand why a few didn't clear in advance.

I messaged a rep the night before just to have him check and see if there was inventory that perhaps had not processed automatically. He had no idea what inventory I was talking about. No idea.

There were two of us involved (both DM) on this trip, so I called and spoke to an agent about the same flight. She had a hard time understanding what I was asking, but eventually pecked around and said there was upgrade inventory. I asked if she could push through the upgrade.

She went to work and appeared to have it set to go. The seat went through on my traveling companion's record but when she pushed the final button on mine, the system hiccuped and it didn't work. She came back with, "there is no more upgrade inventory available." It's within 24 hours of the flight, so I look at the upgrade list on the app, and I am #3. Which means, theoretically, that my traveling companion got upgraded ahead of two people already on the list.

I just don't understand how this sort of stuff happens.
lc412000 likes this.
Old May 10, 2022, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Did you try to seat change? IME if there is upgrade space available, it will display "FREE" on the seat and let you change. There was a thread about this a while back; all of my F upgrades have cleared promptly so I haven't seen it recently but it works for C+ too if I click through to my seat faster than the computer can put me in SU.
Old May 10, 2022, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's well known that upgrade inventory is required, although often this is no restriction for domestic C+ "upgrades."
Other than completing a booking (and then seeing if you get an automatic upgrade), is there a method to check on whether inventory is available for a specific flight? I am travelling TATL if that makes a difference. Thanks.
Old May 10, 2022, 9:36 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...llion-upgrades

If you click on the link to jump to "How & When Complimentary Upgrades Clear", then below the chart look for the heading "When your upgrade will clear:", you'll see where it says "... subject to upgrade availability."

Other than completing a booking (and then seeing if you get an automatic upgrade), is there a method to check on whether inventory is available for a specific flight? I am travelling TATL if that makes a difference. Thanks.
Not any more (it use to show up in flight search results if you were logged in but they replaced it with certificate upgrade availability). You can call in and ask. Or if it really makes a difference to your choice to book, you can cancel within the 24 hour risk-free cancellation window.
vbjd1111 likes this.
Old May 10, 2022, 11:22 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
The system is screwy, non-transparent, and essentially broken.

ATL-EYW yesterday had only three seats sold in a 12 seat F cabin, so nine people (including me, yay) cleared at the gate. For the life of me, I don't understand why a few didn't clear in advance.

I messaged a rep the night before just to have him check and see if there was inventory that perhaps had not processed automatically. He had no idea what inventory I was talking about. No idea.

There were two of us involved (both DM) on this trip, so I called and spoke to an agent about the same flight. She had a hard time understanding what I was asking, but eventually pecked around and said there was upgrade inventory. I asked if she could push through the upgrade.

She went to work and appeared to have it set to go. The seat went through on my traveling companion's record but when she pushed the final button on mine, the system hiccuped and it didn't work. She came back with, "there is no more upgrade inventory available." It's within 24 hours of the flight, so I look at the upgrade list on the app, and I am #3. Which means, theoretically, that my traveling companion got upgraded ahead of two people already on the list.

I just don't understand how this sort of stuff happens.
Seriously? You called in and tied up an agent to find out why your u/g hadn't cleared in advance on a 90 minute flight?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.