FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ✨ Polaris (& PP) Retrofits: Schedule, ....
Old May 6, 2022, 1:07 pm
phkc070408

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by wxguy
It could also be that the continued delay of 777-200HD reintroduction means they need all of the ships they can get to meet anticipated schedule needs. Don't forget, some of the 789s already converted may be scheduled for other maintenance and unavailable, and the 789 is the only type that can fly some of the ultra-longhaul routes. So UA could be proactively keeping the Diamond seat 789s available until they see enough slack in the system to schedule them for mods.
Originally Posted by EWR764
. ... Right now, demand in all markets save for Asia is screaming back, and United was planning to be reintroducing its PW 777s by now. It hasn't been able to do so, and the 777/787 fleet is consequently stretched very thin. I understand Polaris mods for the last 4 789s are being temporarily held (we are talking weeks, not months) to enable UA to fly its schedule until the PW 772s reenter service. This also factors into the delayed launch of 764 Polaris mods and Premium Plus adds to the 76A fleet (that was also due to be underway by now)...
That seems to be the main reasoning.

I'm just hoping they're able to get a few more in before our trip in Mid-July. I don't mind an equipment swap itself, since I agree the Diamond seat it pretty nice, however it's the seat assignment lottery that comes with an equipment swap that is inconvenient.