FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2022]
Old Apr 20, 2022, 8:53 pm
Plane-is-home

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Still dealing with lack of service in which airport agents aren't empowered to do anything, nor is the GS hotline.

When I need to change to an earlier flight, change my routing, or change a ticket outright, regardless of how easy or difficult it is, the agents in the GS lobby tell me to call the support desk and that the "chairs in the GS lobby are there for your comfort while you're having phone agents do your change."

My UA flight went mechanical to EWR, and they tried to re-accommodate me on the next (2) flights, but they were both completely full. On the third flight attempt, a single Y seat opened up which I grabbed, even though I was on a full F ticket. Airport agents told me to call UA to get a prorated refund for the downgrade. Now when I call, the GS hotline tells me the only way to request a proration "consideration" is to fill out a form on the UA website.

As a frequent flier, I really want to get from point A to point B as quickly as possible and don't want to spend time on hold on a phone or go through complex online forms buried on the website. As a Global Service member, if I encounter an agent with an issue that probably happens often (needing to change a flight, dealing with irrops downgrade, etc.), I hope they'd be service-oriented enough to take up the issue themselves and resolve it for me so I can continue with my care-free travels. This service aspect is missing.

In the "old days", I'd be greeted plane side ...and if it was a tight connection, I'd be scurried away quickly. Now, on my last four connecting flights, all of which were tight connections, I got gate agents who wished me "good luck" or gave an ominous "ohh I don't think you'll make it, but run fast across the airport to see if you can."

I only buy F/J, so really what is the difference between GS and 1K nowadays --especially when gate agents at hubs are often in a hurry and fold GS and 1K boarding together?
totally agree with your sentiment. What happened to the GS benefit of a guaranteed seat on the next flight?