FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dual Citizen; Which Passport to Use when Traveling between Third Countries?
Old Apr 15, 2022, 10:46 am
CKDGM

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BohaCica1k
What is the key/logic you use to decide which passport to use when traveling?

I think the answer to this question is clear when traveling between the countries of your own citizenship. The aswer is also obvious when one passport can provide higher benefits (like visa free access) than the other one. But what if you hold 2 very equal passports and going to a third country?

For example. I am USA and Italian/EU passport holder. Say, I decide to fly on a trip to Mexico, Thailand, Cambodia or Dominican Republic. Am I correct to assume it doesn't matter at all which one I use to enter/depart the country? Are there some other considerations I may not be aware of?
For simplicity's sake, my practice is to use the passport of my current residence except when the other passport has advantages. In my case, as a US citizen/resident with IE citizenship, this means I use the US passport for entering most countries (CA/MX/AE/etc) and the IE passport only when entering the EU (or EEA/CH/UK) or if it provides a better visa option (I think at least AU and BR would apply here).