FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - E-Tickets - An Evolution or just an ink saving?
Old Apr 10, 2022, 2:39 pm
BLHD

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
E-Tickets - An Evolution or just an ink saving?

A recent post by 1P here got me thinking about all things E-Ticket and inspired me to write the following thoughts, Mods, while this applies to most airlines, can we let this ride for a day or 2 in the BA forum?

Airline Ticketing - a brief history.

To really open up this discussion, we need to go back to the 1930s where airline inventory was literally handled on paper index cards for each flight and paper records for each booking, wanted to book a flight, you'd talk to the Sales Centre who would talk to the departure airport to see if they still had space on their index card

In 1939 our friends at American Airlines lead by Cyrus Rowlett Smith, embarked on a project to simplify this system removing the need to check for every booking until the flights were 75% full, it being 1939, flights rarely got this level so it reduced the need for back & forth phone calls.

in 1944 with demand rising, AA started looking at a more automated solution - Along came Reservisor and a short time later Magnetronic Reservisor, you can read about both courtesy of Wikipedia.

Fast forward 9 years and the forward thinking Smith, met his namesake Blair Smith of IBM, a chance meeting on an AA flight. This one conversation lead to the launch of Sabre, one of the worlds leading GDS Systems which while not the oldest Reservation System, still remains in use to this day.

What's Changed

Until the 1970s, Sabre remained AA exclusive but then expanded its offering to other airlines and over the next 20 years of so allowed the production of tickets along the lines of the below example.

Hat tip to Wikipedia

Where are we now and what does the future look like?

Essentially, within a GDS system, an E-ticket looks exactly as it would on paper, IATA didn't officially scrap the paper ticket until 2008.

Hat tip to Sabre Indonesia

So to answer the question of where we are now? The technology we rely on today hasn't actually moved along very much in the last 30 years, hence when you request a change from your airline and it has to be sent off to a back office for recalculation, it's because someone literally has to sit their with a calculator and work out complicated changes!

What does the future look like?

Well to be honest, I don't see massive changes coming anytime soon, we have just seen adjustments built onto very old tech. I do not see a radical shift in process happening quickly. New Distribution Capability changes the way tickets are priced and sold but I ultimately think the old process is here to stay.

What are your thoughts? Do you still have a paper ticket stashed away somewhere?

Last edited by BLHD; Apr 11, 2022 at 11:16 am Reason: Typo Error