FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Missing flight due to secondary screening...
Old Nov 21, 2004, 5:42 am
SchmeckFlyer

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Originally Posted by TSAMGR
First I'm sorry you had a negative experience. Now, acording to your post it appears it took you about 50 minutes to get to and through the checkpoint. If 10 minutes are added for other delays that gives us an hour. TSA and many of the airlines suggest you arrive an hour and a half to two hours before your flight.

As for your other complaints I suggest you call or email the TSA Contact Center at 1-866-289-9673 or [email protected]
Having experienced long lines at SEA before, I did arrive just under 2 hours in advance. I had already checked in online, and was able to complete check-in quickly. I then had a quick chat with my brother and friend, and went ahead to security.

It actually took longer than 50 minutes, because I did not include in my original post times such as the actual secondary screening, waiting in line for the x-ray after I skipped to the business class line, waiting for my bag to be searched and so on. I redid the figures, and I figure from the time I joined the economy class line to the time I started sprinting to my gate was about 72 minutes. This does not include the time it took to go back to security to retrieve my boarding card, which ultimately is what caused me to miss my flight.

What annoyed me more than waiting was that my boarding card was removed without my knowing, and not given back to me (and the fact that agents seemed unwilling to admit fault; I genuinly was not upset, just making observations). I try to temper my complaints, because although I have my doubts/reservations about the whole security thing these days, most of the agents were cheerful and cooperative during my secondary screening. It was nice that he said, "I'm going to touch you in a sensitive place now" because I have been touched in sensitive places before my security personnel, but without warning...

I really think SEA is a zoo, and the lines and seeming chaos make African airports look like they have German efficiency experts running their show. Something should be done, because it not only costs the passengers money and time, but also the airlines who have to give seats to pax that could be given to other (paying) pax.