FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Missing flight due to secondary screening...
Old Nov 20, 2004, 9:16 pm
SDF_Traveler

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by TSAMGR
First I'm sorry you had a negative experience. Now, acording to your post it appears it took you about 50 minutes to get to and through the checkpoint. If 10 minutes are added for other delays that gives us an hour. TSA and many of the airlines suggest you arrive an hour and a half to two hours before your flight.

As for your other complaints I suggest you call or email the TSA Contact Center at 1-866-289-9673 or [email protected]
Per the original message:

And yes, I was at the airport 2 hours early having checked-in online.
While I haven't been to SEA lately, I have heard there are problems there with long lines (last time was late last year, just making a connection).

I personally feel it shouldn't take 50 minutes to get to/through a checkpoint anywhere. This is debatable, but as AArlington points out in his intelligent discussion, wasted time at airports is often wasted time in productivity and thus money. I often go to the airport straight from the office and usually arrive one hour prior to my flight. Typically I am already checked in on-line and have carry-on only. If I cannot check-in online/have paper ticket, or Intl and must check luggage, I will usually go by the 90 minute rule at SDF.

If I had to arrive two hours early vs one every time, this would mean one less hour of productivity at the office. Multiply this by the thousands of business travelers that go from the office to the airport and we're looking at a large loss in time and productivity here.

Now, with respect to the OP's problems at SEA:

From what I understand, some airports, including SEA have serious problems with lines. It's disgusting it took you 50 minutes, even after cutting over to the business/elite line at SEA. From what I've seen in the press and heard from colleagues, I get the impression SEA TSA has had problems for awhile with long lines.

Please take a minute and send an email to the address TSAMGR provided. Advise them of your complaint, including the significant line wait time. Also write a letter to the airline customer service department, advise them of problematic lines at SEA & your experience -- and feel free to write the elected officials in Seattle. I believe it's important the elected officials in Seattle are aware of the problems at the airport and what visitors must endure.

I'm not sure why the TSA took and held your boarding pass, but it was wrong of them to lose it and not accept any blame. Be sure to include all details, including this in any correspondence. Also highlight the fact they took a valuable antique silver item out of your view during the screening process. It's your right (and TSA responsibility) to have your items within view during a secondary screening.

On the other side of the coin, there is the saying that .... happens, especially when traveling. There are things out of my control such as delays, cancellations, and yes, even lines longer than expected. I was in a security/outgoing passport control line at FCO for over an hour a few weeks ago; I can't control it, and I don't think the Italian officals care... but here in the states, I would like to think someone, somewhere, does care - and has the ability to make change; so please, at minimum, write the TSA Contact Center at TSAMGR suggests.

I wish you the best of luck and happy travels!

Best Regards,

SDF_Traveler