FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rebating agent for Ponant?
View Single Post
Old Mar 29, 2022, 11:45 am
YVR Cockroach
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Randyk47
I can’t say I’ve studied the history of brick and mortar travel agencies and the emergence of Internet agencies in detail but my impression is that the change probably started in the mid to late 1990’s/early 2000’s.
B&M as gretchendz says was the only way to book anything (other than call the travel provider) for years. I think the early/mid '90s was when online research and bookings started becoming possible (IIRC OAG/Online Airline Guide was avvailable on CIS/Compuserve).even if it was all text driven. I think I started booking my own travel in this era.

I forgot to mention one of the large remaining B 'n M cruise TAs is Expedia Cruises which, at least where I am, has franchised(?) outlets. Almost a pyramid scheme as the TAs have to pay the franchisee who in turn have to pay Barry Diller (or whoever owns Expedia these days, Some people still say Bill Gates/Microsoft). .At any rate, cruises aren't the big money maker for TAs, but ancilliary services like air tickets, ground transportation, hotel, cruise excursions and other arrangements are.