FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Award Booking Cancellation
View Single Post
Old Mar 16, 2022, 11:39 am
lkar

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You might want to hang up and call again - at this time of day you might well get the option for a callback rather than stay on hold for an interminable time

With JL cancelling the flight, you should be able to get a full refund and not be out by the normal cancellation penalty
Originally Posted by Guvner067
8 weeks seems to be the waiting period according to a number of posts on other forums.
Cancel fee is normally 6000 pts however it depends when you initially booked as Qantas have waived fees for Intl award bookings:
- booked between 25 February 2021 and 30 June 2022,
- for travel between 1 November 2021 and 31 December 2022.

https://www.qantas.com/au/en/frequen...3Ann%3Aen%3Ann

edit: Just found this on the Qantas website:
"Due to the current circumstances, there are a significant number of refund requests and we're working through them as quickly as we can, prioritised in lodgement date order. Our current processing time is approximately eight weeks. Once your refund is processed, you'll receive an email to confirm it's been actioned. There is no need to call us. We appreciate your patience."
Thanks everyone -- This was not a JL cancellation but a voluntary cancellation by me. I am just wanting to re-use the miles (minus any charge in miles for the cancellation).

I finally got through on the phone and they are indeed standing on the 8 weeks thing. I guess I just got impatient. The guy was nice but the call went something like this:

Him: You must not have read the fine print, which is understandable, but refunds take up to 8 weeks, so you still have another week or so to go.

Me: Right, I did miss that. But I was sort of thinking that would only apply to the taxes, which I don't need a refund of immediately, but not the miles. I really would like to use the miles for a different booking.

Him: Let me put you on hold and see if I can get them to push it through.

[Long hold]

Him: No, I'm sorry. It could be up to another 2 or 3 weeks.

Me: Even just to get the miles back?

Him: Yes.

Me: Ok, thank you.