Award Booking Cancellation

Old Mar 15, 2022, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Award Booking Cancellation

So, I had a flight on JL booked using Qantas miles that was due to fly several weeks ago. I wanted to cancel and redposit the miles. I tried calling and waited on hold for hours, never to get through. Finally, I cancelled on the website, agreeing to a charge of some amount of miles (I can't remember exactly how many -- a few thousand). The booking was cancelled. It has now been nearly 7 weeks and the points are not back in my account. I've tried calling but I wait on hold forever and nobody picks up. I'm currently sitting on hold and it's at two hours and six minutes and I need to go to the bathroom! Twitter has been useless.

Other than "keep trying," does anyone have an tips here?
Old Mar 15, 2022, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by lkar
So, I had a flight on JL booked using Qantas miles that was due to fly several weeks ago. I wanted to cancel and redposit the miles. I tried calling and waited on hold for hours, never to get through. Finally, I cancelled on the website, agreeing to a charge of some amount of miles (I can't remember exactly how many -- a few thousand). The booking was cancelled. It has now been nearly 7 weeks and the points are not back in my account. I've tried calling but I wait on hold forever and nobody picks up. I'm currently sitting on hold and it's at two hours and six minutes and I need to go to the bathroom! Twitter has been useless.

Other than "keep trying," does anyone have an tips here?
Not really. You could try emailing Qantas perhaps the frequent flyer centre. Nothing to lose. Have you received your cash component back?
Old Mar 15, 2022, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Not really. You could try emailing Qantas perhaps the frequent flyer centre. Nothing to lose. Have you received your cash component back?
Thanks. Nope. No miles, no cash.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You might want to hang up and call again - at this time of day you might well get the option for a callback rather than stay on hold for an interminable time

With JL cancelling the flight, you should be able to get a full refund and not be out by the normal cancellation penalty
Old Mar 15, 2022, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Qantas Frequent Flyer <[email protected]>
Do not expect a prompt reply.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 4:10 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
8 weeks seems to be the waiting period according to a number of posts on other forums.
Cancel fee is normally 6000 pts however it depends when you initially booked as Qantas have waived fees for Intl award bookings:
- booked between 25 February 2021 and 30 June 2022,
- for travel between 1 November 2021 and 31 December 2022.

https://www.qantas.com/au/en/frequen...3Ann%3Aen%3Ann

edit: Just found this on the Qantas website:
"Due to the current circumstances, there are a significant number of refund requests and we're working through them as quickly as we can, prioritised in lodgement date order. Our current processing time is approximately eight weeks. Once your refund is processed, you'll receive an email to confirm it's been actioned. There is no need to call us. We appreciate your patience."
Old Mar 15, 2022, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Guvner067
"Due to the current circumstances, there are a significant number of refund requests and we're working through them as quickly as we can, prioritised in lodgement date order. Our current processing time is approximately eight weeks. Once your refund is processed, you'll receive an email to confirm it's been actioned. There is no need to call us. We appreciate your patience."
And QF appreciate the passengers $$$ in their bank account !
Spiff likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 1:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Great,

So QF yet again have "out of the blue" cancelled our flights from Perth to Darwin and Darwin to Alice Springs....these incredibly, are flights for May!. No alternative offered. Was done on points (my other halfs) so can we expect points to be returned promptly or another long wait for this crowd to sort it. If they are cancelling flights for May and they think there is a resurgence in air travel they are not exactly sending confidence vibes.

I had flights cancelled by BA when using BA Avios. The Avios and cash was back within 2 days into my account....

Last edited by nivsy; Mar 16, 2022 at 9:54 pm
Old Mar 16, 2022, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You might want to hang up and call again - at this time of day you might well get the option for a callback rather than stay on hold for an interminable time

With JL cancelling the flight, you should be able to get a full refund and not be out by the normal cancellation penalty
8 weeks seems to be the waiting period according to a number of posts on other forums.
Cancel fee is normally 6000 pts however it depends when you initially booked as Qantas have waived fees for Intl award bookings:
- booked between 25 February 2021 and 30 June 2022,
- for travel between 1 November 2021 and 31 December 2022.

https://www.qantas.com/au/en/frequen...3Ann%3Aen%3Ann

Thanks everyone -- This was not a JL cancellation but a voluntary cancellation by me. I am just wanting to re-use the miles (minus any charge in miles for the cancellation).

I finally got through on the phone and they are indeed standing on the 8 weeks thing. I guess I just got impatient. The guy was nice but the call went something like this:

Him: You must not have read the fine print, which is understandable, but refunds take up to 8 weeks, so you still have another week or so to go.

Me: Right, I did miss that. But I was sort of thinking that would only apply to the taxes, which I don't need a refund of immediately, but not the miles. I really would like to use the miles for a different booking.

Him: Let me put you on hold and see if I can get them to push it through.

[Long hold]

Him: No, I'm sorry. It could be up to another 2 or 3 weeks.

Me: Even just to get the miles back?

Him: Yes.

Me: Ok, thank you.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 2:15 pm

Programs: NZ
If it is anything like cash refunds you will probably have to chase them at 8 weeks.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 12:35 am

Qantas changed flight made with points

Qantas has changed an award booking made between Perth and Darwin to an earlier flight that we can not make. It looks like if we wish to cancel the revised flight (not accepted) then they will take from us 6000 points per passenger! Surely this cannot be the case?
Old Mar 20, 2022, 1:16 am

When you say "it looks like"... where did you see that?
I cancelled a Qantas booking earlier today and received the points back within an hour with no penalty.
Their Fly Flexible policy should apply to you.

"If we’ve cancelled your Qantas flight, we'll rebook you on the next available flight to your booked destination (if possible), at no additional cost to you. Alternatively, you can choose a Flight Credit or a refund. You won’t be charged any change or cancellation fees. For more information visit booking changes and other options.

*Eligible Flights include: Australian Domestic Qantas operated flights booked between 21 May 2020 and 30 April 2022, for travel between 12 June 2020 and 30 April 2022. Trans-Tasman Qantas operated flights booked between 15 October 2020 and 30 June 2022, for travel between 16 October 2020 and 31 December 2022. International Qantas operated and Codeshare flights booked between 25 February 2021 and 30 June 2022, for travel between 1 November 2021 and 31 December 2022 (international flights are available up to 12 months in advance). "

More here: https://www.qantas.com/au/en/frequen...t-rewards.html
Old Mar 20, 2022, 1:20 am

When you say "it looks like"... where did you see that?
I cancelled a Qantas booking earlier today (my choice, not an unacceptable change) and received the points back within an hour with no penalty.
Their Fly Flexible policy should apply to you.

"If weve cancelled your Qantas flight, we'll rebook you on the next available flight to your booked destination (if possible), at no additional cost to you. Alternatively, you can choose a Flight Credit or a refund. You wont be charged any change or cancellation fees. For more information visit booking changes and other options.

*Eligible Flights include: Australian Domestic Qantas operated flights booked between 21 May 2020 and 30 April 2022, for travel between 12 June 2020 and 30 April 2022. Trans-Tasman Qantas operated flights booked between 15 October 2020 and 30 June 2022, for travel between 16 October 2020 and 31 December 2022. International Qantas operated and Codeshare flights booked between 25 February 2021 and 30 June 2022, for travel between 1 November 2021 and 31 December 2022 (international flights are available up to 12 months in advance). "
Within their blurb before you press the cancel button hence we did not want to press the cancel button. . As I say they have rebooked us to a flight over two hours earlier that just won't work. Booking was made in sept 21. I agree the fly flexible should be in force but it is not clear.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 1:28 am

Strange. I just looked at a future points booking I have MEL-LST. Selected "Cancel" in Manage Booking and I don't see any message pertaining to 6000 points.
I didn't confirm the Cancellation for obvious reasons, however I assume any blurb would be there before confirmation..
Old Mar 20, 2022, 1:33 am

I'd be confident that if you didn't accept the involuntary change then you'd not be penalised. Maybe call them (7am AEST seems to be the best time to avoid lengthy queues) just to double check?
nivsy likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.