FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bali returns.
Thread: Bali returns.
View Single Post
Old Mar 7, 2022, 10:06 pm
clubeurope

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
clubeurope good photos from the alila, but I've got a question for ya (and for anyone else, I suppose).

When nightly room tariffs are in the hundreds of euros, why would bubur ayam -- chicken porridge -- and soto ayam, or chicken turmeric soup, make the cut?

Having flown business on a number of airlines, I was always disappointed to get for example, noodle soup on Cathay Pacific, or whatever the hell a US-based airline served.

Is there a demographic that votes for inexpensive comfort food masquerading as local cuisine? Sure. Though, for a nice hotel like the Alila, or a CX J seat, I'd expect more.
I think that's a very interesting point. Although that does beg the question, what then does qualify as 'high-end hotel breakfast'? Must it be caviar laden? Or served with shavings of Alba truffles? Matsuzaka beef?

Throughout my travels, I find that hotel breakfasts dishes look generally the same anywhere and differ mostly in quality. For the most part, I personally don't care for fussy food unless they can execute it nicely. I remember having a Lobster and Caviar Omelette for breakfast at Singapore's St Regis, but it disappointed me so much that I had the local Nasi Lemak (which maybe costs ~EUR3 outside the hotel) for the rest of my one week stay.