FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (RUC) post 2/1/2022
Old Feb 28, 2022, 8:39 pm
USCTrojan83

Originally Posted by bgriff
So there is no D1 ATL to PHX, there is a First flight with D1 equipment. As on all other First flights (i.e. almost all domestic flights), there is sometimes RUC space, denoted with "Upgrade to First available with upgrade certificate", or if that's not available, then you have 2 options -- you can either waitlist an RUC request (same as has been possible for years), or if you have GUCs you can confirm an upgrade to First to any available seat. You don't have to use a GUC, but if you want to guarantee the request clears then it's an option to use one.

Prior to 2/1, all the First flights that show "Upgrade to First available with Global Upgrade Certificate" would have read "Upgrade Certificate not available" because RUC space isn't open on those flights right now, and pre-2/1 there was no other option.

I agree though that the way this is framed on the availability listings on Delta.com is somewhat confusing right now.
So today I needed a flight for tomorrow from JFK - LAX. Called the Diamond line and asked if there are any flights which, if I booked right now, I could confirm an upgrade using an RUC. She said there's one seat available for RUC confirmed upgrade. We booked the ticket, I got put on hold for 30+ mins for her to call the desk which handles certificates, she came back to say she didn't realize that it was a DeltaOneŽ flight, therefore a regional upgrade certificate could not be used, but they honored it for me "this one time as a courtesy."

Obviously I'm sorted for tomorrow, but what am I missing? Did something change for domestic D1 flights that now requires GUCs?