Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (RUC) post 2/1/2022

Old Feb 2, 2022, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bgriff
For discussion of same-day change on an itinerary with an RUC applied, see: SDC while using Regional Upgrade Certificates (RUC) Definitive Thread

FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:
GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available) ****THIS AIRCRAFT CONFIG MAKES NO SENSE DPS IS NOT SOLD ON RUC ROUTES, MAYBE THIS IS FOR FUTURE PLANS?****
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX ****THIS AIRCRAFT CONFIG MAKES NO SENSE DPS IS NOT SOLD ON RUC ROUTES, MAYBE THIS IS FOR FUTURE PLANS?****
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

I’m not able to check-in online for a flight where RUC/GUC was applied.
The problem is most likely that your upgrade cleared but your ticket has not been re-issued. Call to request a manual re-issue of your ticket.

__________________________________________________ __

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...ve-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (RUC) post 2/1/2022

Old Feb 27, 2022, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by GrizNation
Hi allcurious of everyone’s opinion.I’m waitlisted for a RUC for SEA JFK a few days out with only 6 seats left (it’s a 752 with 16 lie flats). D1 keeps selling about 1 seat a day so a little worried this won’t clear. I could cancel the ticket and buy this with miles for 41k miles. I almost feel it’s a better deal than wasting a RCU or risking it not clearing?what would you do if you were me?
If you can buy that entire flight, not just an upgrade, for 41k miles, you won't be finding a better per mile elsewhere, i would use the miles here and the ruc on another flight
Air Houston likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 9:23 am

Programs: DL DM
Thanks for the tips, I rebooked for 41k miles and saving the RCU for better redemption!
Old Feb 27, 2022, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL - Platinum, United - Gold, Marriott - PP, Hilton - Diamond, SPG - Platinum, National - Exec Elite
GUC Redeemed or Not?

Good Afternoon everyone.

I know the Diamond line has a lot of new folks who are assisting and I am trying to avoid an issue. I might just be the lucky recipient of something I guess. We are going to ICN later in the year and I applied GUC prior to 2/1 and we were cleared to D1 immediately. We are ticketed into OY and the receipt shows OY. I used miles to purchase the tickets in coach. We are going to pop down to Cabo in April and I called to use regionals on that, the rep said if you want to use globals we can confirm today. I said that my globals were tied to a different reservation and she was adamant that they were not. Based on the fare class and the receipt is it safe to assume that the ticket was reissued and they just didn’t burn my certificates? What would happen if the ticket was not reissued and they inadvertently used the certificate twice and then you didn’t have another one for them to take? Would they downgrade you at the gate? Not trying to have a bank error in my favor but she was very sure that they were open for use.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 12:47 pm

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Scudsone
RUCs CAN be used for international flights to Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, and “northern” South America (which I believe means Columbia but not points south). Basically anywhere they fly with the “domestic“ first class cabin and not a Delta One cabin.

I’ve used RUCs for BON and I’ve seen them available on the website for MEX and CUN, but only GUCs for LIM.
The LIM-ATL route is flown by a 764 with D1, so that's why. BON-ATL seems to have a 738 which obviously doesn't have D1.

It is annoying to me that for LIM-ATL-SEA, for example, we can't apply the RUC to ATL-SEA without booking the segments separately.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 8:07 am

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
I have a 3/1 LAX to JFK flight. There are 3 seats left in D1. Can i wait until i see where the same day upgrade puts me before using a RUC, or does it not reshufflec the list once it is generated. I have a companion as well.
Is it just me or does the RUC for domestic D1 flights not allowing upgrades via RUC?
Old Feb 28, 2022, 8:55 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by Rwars10230
Good Afternoon everyone.

I know the Diamond line has a lot of new folks who are assisting and I am trying to avoid an issue. I might just be the lucky recipient of something I guess. We are going to ICN later in the year and I applied GUC prior to 2/1 and we were cleared to D1 immediately. We are ticketed into OY and the receipt shows OY. I used miles to purchase the tickets in coach. We are going to pop down to Cabo in April and I called to use regionals on that, the rep said if you want to use globals we can confirm today. I said that my globals were tied to a different reservation and she was adamant that they were not. Based on the fare class and the receipt is it safe to assume that the ticket was reissued and they just didn’t burn my certificates? What would happen if the ticket was not reissued and they inadvertently used the certificate twice and then you didn’t have another one for them to take? Would they downgrade you at the gate? Not trying to have a bank error in my favor but she was very sure that they were open for use.
At one point I had the same two RUCS applied to 6 different flights because of tix not being re-issued until shortly before departure. I have plenty of RUCs so no harm per se; but without doubt your ticket has not been reissued.

I would Diamond Line and ask them to reissue right now (which will help in case of IRROPS, at least in theory) - and then see if the GUCs are still available. But generally, they do not reissue until a few days before travel - and, not infrequently, they don't reissue in time, and you'll get an "NO ELECTRONIC TICKET" which stops you from checking in and takes 30 minutes to sort out and that was with the Singapore line which is no longer reachable.
businesstino likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 9:08 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by LDNConsultant
Is it just me or does the RUC for domestic D1 flights not allowing upgrades via RUC?
What do you mean by not allowed? Confirmable-in-advance RUC space is not very common on domestic D1 flights, particularly on flights like yours where there are only 3 seats left so Delta understandably wants to save those for paying customers. After check in your RUC should put you higher on the upgrade list (although many people try to use RUCs on those flights so you won't necessarily be #1, and some days might not even be in the top 5 depending on the makeup of who's trying to use RUCs on any given flight).

Delta.com will also sometimes show that Global Upgrades can be used to confirm domestic D1, which is a (somewhat confusing) result of the new rules since 2/1 outlined in the wiki -- basically GUCs get access to slightly more inventory for domestic D1 than RUCs, but not last seat availability as with domestic F. But just because a flight may show that domestic D1 is only available using GUCs, you can still waitlist RUCs, which at worst should give you an improved position on the day-of upgrade list, and occasionally may result in the waitlist request clearing before that.
audidudi likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by bgriff
What do you mean by not allowed? Confirmable-in-advance RUC space is not very common on domestic D1 flights, particularly on flights like yours where there are only 3 seats left so Delta understandably wants to save those for paying customers. After check in your RUC should put you higher on the upgrade list (although many people try to use RUCs on those flights so you won't necessarily be #1, and some days might not even be in the top 5 depending on the makeup of who's trying to use RUCs on any given flight).

Delta.com will also sometimes show that Global Upgrades can be used to confirm domestic D1, which is a (somewhat confusing) result of the new rules since 2/1 outlined in the wiki -- basically GUCs get access to slightly more inventory for domestic D1 than RUCs, but not last seat availability as with domestic F. But just because a flight may show that domestic D1 is only available using GUCs, you can still waitlist RUCs, which at worst should give you an improved position on the day-of upgrade list, and occasionally may result in the waitlist request clearing before that.
What I am seeing on D1 ATL to PHX is you have to have Global Certificate not a Regional When did PHX become an international destination?
Old Feb 28, 2022, 9:54 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
What I am seeing on D1 ATL to PHX is you have to have Global Certificate not a Regional When did PHX become an international destination?
So there is no D1 ATL to PHX, there is a First flight with D1 equipment. As on all other First flights (i.e. almost all domestic flights), there is sometimes RUC space, denoted with "Upgrade to First available with upgrade certificate", or if that's not available, then you have 2 options -- you can either waitlist an RUC request (same as has been possible for years), or if you have GUCs you can confirm an upgrade to First to any available seat. You don't have to use a GUC, but if you want to guarantee the request clears then it's an option to use one.

Prior to 2/1, all the First flights that show "Upgrade to First available with Global Upgrade Certificate" would have read "Upgrade Certificate not available" because RUC space isn't open on those flights right now, and pre-2/1 there was no other option.

I agree though that the way this is framed on the availability listings on Delta.com is somewhat confusing right now.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 12:10 pm

Programs: Delta PM
I'm flying LAX-JFK on a 764. I'm a PM and would get free PE but all seats are taken. Currently in main cabin. Called to use a RUC and was put on waitlist. If seats in PE open up but D1 do not, would they use my RUC to upgrade me to PE? I'm not interested in using my RUC to PE. Should I call again and say I only want to use my RUC if D1 is available?
Old Feb 28, 2022, 2:29 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
On the current version of the website, when you see "... available with (type) certificate" that merely indicates that there is whatever inventory is needed to clear an upgrade right now i.e. at booking. It does not mean "you can only ever use this type of certificate to upgrade."
ijgordon likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Corganbr
I'm flying LAX-JFK on a 764. I'm a PM and would get free PE but all seats are taken. Currently in main cabin. Called to use a RUC and was put on waitlist. If seats in PE open up but D1 do not, would they use my RUC to upgrade me to PE? I'm not interested in using my RUC to PE. Should I call again and say I only want to use my RUC if D1 is available?
March 1 1135 by any chance?
Old Feb 28, 2022, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Corganbr
PE cabin on domestic D1 flights is marketed as C+ cabin with C+ fares and upgrades as there are no domestic PE fares. No, they won't use a RUC to upgrade you to C+.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 6:29 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by xliioper
PE cabin on domestic D1 flights is marketed as C+ cabin with C+ fares and upgrades as there are no domestic PE fares. No, they won't use a RUC to upgrade you to C+.
Great to know, thank you!
Old Feb 28, 2022, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff
So there is no D1 ATL to PHX, there is a First flight with D1 equipment. As on all other First flights (i.e. almost all domestic flights), there is sometimes RUC space, denoted with "Upgrade to First available with upgrade certificate", or if that's not available, then you have 2 options -- you can either waitlist an RUC request (same as has been possible for years), or if you have GUCs you can confirm an upgrade to First to any available seat. You don't have to use a GUC, but if you want to guarantee the request clears then it's an option to use one.

Prior to 2/1, all the First flights that show "Upgrade to First available with Global Upgrade Certificate" would have read "Upgrade Certificate not available" because RUC space isn't open on those flights right now, and pre-2/1 there was no other option.

I agree though that the way this is framed on the availability listings on Delta.com is somewhat confusing right now.
So today I needed a flight for tomorrow from JFK - LAX. Called the Diamond line and asked if there are any flights which, if I booked right now, I could confirm an upgrade using an RUC. She said there's one seat available for RUC confirmed upgrade. We booked the ticket, I got put on hold for 30+ mins for her to call the desk which handles certificates, she came back to say she didn't realize that it was a DeltaOne® flight, therefore a regional upgrade certificate could not be used, but they honored it for me "this one time as a courtesy."

Obviously I'm sorted for tomorrow, but what am I missing? Did something change for domestic D1 flights that now requires GUCs?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.