FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - EWR B (NW/DL - low # gates) this AM
View Single Post
Old Nov 16, 2004, 1:25 pm
SDF_Traveler

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by xyzzy
Don't count on that help. Perhaps you missed this thread where TSAMGR where, in this post he asserts that this is a sane and necessary policy.
Thanks for pointing out the above thread.

As long as the SSSS exists, which is a joke from a security standpoint (the way it is currently operated), I believe they're wasting time by double, triple, and quadruple checking for the SSSS's. It's a waste of taxpayer money, IMHO.

To play devil's advocate for a minute, if a "real" selectee program existed which added to security, I could understand the need to double-check the BP's. Being tagged a selectee for flying one-way, being one-way on a codeshare, or having your flight changed is not a real program to identify higher risk passengers. It's silly window dressing and amounts to nothing more than passenger harassment.

As it is with most airports, I could at least (partially) understand when a second check is done depending on the setup -- but FOUR? As far as I'm concerned, one check is sufficient; it's not like you can miss the SSSS. If there is an SSSS lane, check once prior and send them there -- if there isn't and it's a mixed lane, check once immediately after the WTMD and put them in the "pen" for secondary.

Additionally, why two ID checks? One by the private and one by the TSA? The only other station that has done that to me is LEX. At most airports the private security will check the ID and the TSA just wants to see the BP. The airlines might as well eliminate the private ID/BP checker at EWR and save a few dollars. What's the point if you have "security" in place that can't be trusted? In the screeners own words, she is hired by the airlines and "we don't trust her"

The second check was done immediately in front of the WTMD, the 3rd check was done immediately after the WTMD. The 2nd and 3rd TSA officers were right next to each other (a few steps apart) -- the only thing inbetween the WTMD. This is an absolutely ridicilous waste of resources. The 4th check was just a few steps further at the end of the checkpoint.

FWIW, I think I'm going to just start wearing sandal's to the airport and stand firm if I'm asked to remove them. With the new secondary procedures in place, I'm now more inclined to give in and remove my shoes when I hit a shoe carnival checkpoint (unless I have a lot of extra time, which isn't always the case).

In conclusion, if I want a shoe carnival, I'd go to the Shoe Carnival (a cheesy 'discount' shoe shop here in town)

Best,

SDF_Traveler