FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United to Hawaii in First Class - What to Expect?
Old Feb 7, 2022, 12:07 pm
ExplorerWannabe

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PACLipper
I have UA Club Access twice a year due to the Chase Visa affinity card, but after this trip, I am strongly considering blowing my miles and canceling that card. If the F service I had on this trip from Chicago to Honolulu to Washington Dulles is "closely aligns with Polaris service," then my September flight to Munich on UA metal (I am returning via FRA to catch the 747 on LH) is of concern. The catering on this F flight was Gross, and the catering from Chicago O'Hare was not much better (I was served nuts from ORD, but not from HNL). I was looking forward to the sorbet someone had mentioned this past summer in these forums on UA F Hawaii, but it was missing completely. White rice is of poor nutritional value and at breakfast? Gross! It may be popular cuisine in Hawaii, but not for me. Had I known white rice was served with both meals, I would not have selected them. Of course, UA does not provide menus, not in F, and not in its once esteemed Polaris service, either, from what I have read on FlyerTalk. I will not put my $$ toward UA F to HI again. Flagship Hawaii passengers can avail themselves of the AA Flagship Lounge at DFW when it reopens this spring, and access is provided to the Admirals Club in the interim. Would UA ever provide comparable access to the Polaris lounge at either IAD or EWR? AA Flagship Hawaii is superior to UA F on long-distance Mainland routes in terms of both service and catering. Bill Patterson would be ashamed of such service (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_A._Patterson).
White rice is traditional with both chicken katsu and Hawaiian breakfast of Portuguese sausage, eggs, and rice. I'm sorry you didn't pick that up during your time in the Islands. If you don't like it, you could have requested the cauliflower thing for dinner or the protein bowl for breakfast..

I agree with you that t would be better if UA provided a menu outlining the meal ocntents, understanding that some details like the nuts may vary based on catering. I have received menus on most (all? I can't remember one where I didn't get a menu) of my flights in Polaris class so I don't know where you're getting the idea that they don't do that.

Frankly, I don't know why United can't get the catering menus uploaded to the app, at least for the front cabin. It could be something that loads an hour before departure when the catering load should basically be finalized. This would give the passengers something to consider and think about before boarding -- last minute changes could be addressed by the FAs.