FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using Global Upgrades on Delta (GUCs) post 2/1/2022 Changes
Old Feb 4, 2022, 1:18 pm
Utskicat

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by whooperatw
Seeing the same, connecting flights DOM - INT when searching appear to be the biggest problem. Did find a routing with connections which displayed D1 available. Perhaps the site displays nothing if not D1 available for upgrade - as in the code is written to display all or nothing as domestic doesn't have any PS. Short answer - A bug I think.

Ultimately the process of searching for inventory has now become a bigger headache again as opposed to prior to 2/1. Additionally, if married segment logic is employed as it seems to be in some fashion, searching by segment is not a promise either. As usual, it appears what should have been easier is currently now harder.
My guess from both someone who understands fare and ticketing rules rather well along with the fact that I am in the IT industry, is that when DL moved to using revenue inventory buckets for GUC/RUC availability, the programers were not thinking implicationally from a ticketing pov. DL mgmt said, show the DM/PM J Z P G availability on dl.com. So they implemented that. But no one at DL has realized yet that while married segments are required for a new revenue ticket, they are not (currently) required for GUC's, point to point is allowed.

The only concern I have for the future is if they move to a married segement requirement. KL/AF has required married segment availability for GUCs using Z for years. My opinion is that the culture at DL is pretty ingrained presently that GUC/RUC availaibilty works on a point to point basis because it has no revenue protection need, its just a perk/benefit. But who knows, maybe they decide to fully align with KL/AF and also simplify the whole complexity of calling back to add other segments as they become available and waitlists and all that jazz. Fundamentally I think married segment usage has no place in GUC/RUC usage because it would actually be a bit unfair. Mickey Mouse buys a ticket ATL-JFK-CDG and later it has married Z so he can upgrade, Donald Duck flying MSP-JFK-CDG cannot upgrade anything just because there is no married segment avail because MSP-JFK is sold out. But we've seen them do crazier things....

My bet is DL fixes the programming to put the upgrade flag based on point-to-point in the near future.