FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition
View Single Post
Old Feb 1, 2022, 9:38 am
rosswill

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by RichieMc
Yes I've often toyed with the idea of booking online with AA to avoid the long wait time and the even longer call getting the poor agent to make insanely complex bookings. Seems just easier to do it on AA. Aside from Covid rebooking, which I guess (hope!) will be less of a thing, there are a few reasons that hold me back for now:

1.) I get triple Avios with BA amex on BA flights; don't think that would work if bought through AA.
2.) I'd get stung for a 3% FX fee for $ purchases.

Other reasons that might matter to some but don't really to me:

1.) Impossible to upgrade tickets on AA stock with Avios: don't really care as I usually buy cheap business fares for these messy complex TP runs and even on BA stock, I've never once found any F availability that worked. Even if you do everthing right, it's pretty hard to upgrade using on AA metal using Avios. Cash upgrades at airport are the way to go if you get a good offer.
2.) Someone said somewhere that you get fewer miles on AA, not sure of this is true and think it would be small enough not to matter; it's all about the TPs.

Is there anything else I'm missing one way or the other? Is it easier to rebook on AA stock if AA cancels or makes schedule changes, for example?
I have found with past bookings that using a TA can be advantageous where sometimes the point of sale, say New York, opens up additional I inventory on some busy routes such as the transcon services that are not available with UK-sold tickets.