FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA Operated by PSA No small rollaboard carry on baggage?
Old Jan 22, 2022, 9:24 pm
LarryJ

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by thunderdeacon
Thanks for the information. I completely understand what you are saying. However, I have been on a completely full CR7 between OKC and LAX on Skywest many times, and they allow roll-a-boards as long as they fit in the bins. They had no problems with weight, balance, or being able to fill up the aircraft on a flight that hits the upper end of the range of the aircraft. I've also been on full mesa CR9 aircraft on longer flights like DFW-BFL and DFW-JAX with no issues as well. I don't understand how a rollaboards cause issues on a PSA CRJ but not on a Skywest or Mesa CRJ.
The FAA average passenger weight has been increased twice, for a total of 40 pounds per passenger, since the CRJ was designed. Especially on the 50-seat CRJ200, that makes if very difficult to carry 50 passengers, all of their bags, and fuel for anything over a very short flight. It's not as bad on the CRJ-700 but the most recent increase is pushing the limits on that, too, especially when fuel for an alternate airport is required by the destination weather.

Each airline (PSA, Skywest, etc.) has to choose one method or the other. They can't switch back and forth. Having the lower passenger weight then counting the carry-ons that are gate-checked, and allow them to take a full load more often than they could with the method that we're more accustom to.