FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA Operated by PSA No small rollaboard carry on baggage?
Old Jan 22, 2022, 10:26 am
thunderdeacon

Programs: Choice Hotels
Thanks for the information. I completely understand what you are saying. However, I have been on a completely full CR7 between OKC and LAX on Skywest many times, and they allow roll-a-boards as long as they fit in the bins. They had no problems with weight, balance, or being able to fill up the aircraft on a flight that hits the upper end of the range of the aircraft. I've also been on full mesa CR9 aircraft on longer flights like DFW-BFL and DFW-JAX with no issues as well. I don't understand how a rollaboards cause issues on a PSA CRJ but not on a Skywest or Mesa CRJ.

Originally Posted by LarryJ
It's their weight and balance program for the CRJ.

By not allowing full-sized carry-ons in the cabin, they can use a lower average passenger weight (which includes the weight of cabin bags) then count the gate checked bags and add a standard weight for each of them.

If they chose to allow but a carry-on and personal item into the cabin they'd have to use a higher average weight for each passenger in their calculations and, for many flights, would end up more weight restricted. These programs are common on CRJ and E145 operators.