FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Global Entry 2.0 - Facial Recognition
View Single Post
Old Jan 21, 2022, 7:16 pm
firlloigjrilwl

Originally Posted by Need
This is going to be interesting for my son when he uses the GE kiosks next time. I just renewed his GE and the card they sent me was the same one he took 5/6 years ago. He is 15 now. If they use he latest passport picture, it was taken around 12 or 13... better but still would look nothing like him now. But google photos can recognize his face from 0 years to 15... so maybe GE kiosk software would do the same...
My 3yo just went through at SFO. The last time he went through was pre pandemic so obviously they don’t have a recent photo.

it took his photo but then asked for his passport. That was it, good to go (no fingerprints and anyway he has none on file)

my infant (<6 mo) who recently got GE passed through with just a photo. So I’m guessing it’s mostly about how recently the photo was taken

One foreign citizen was in our party and it did print an I-94 slip for him

officer just collected all receipts and waved us through

I shouldn’t be amazed at this tech (my iPhone does a really good job recognizing faces) but I was still impressed at the speed and accuracy (iPhone sometimes confuses my two kids). As others have mentioned, they do know which GE members to expect at each time of the day and can limit the universe of photos against which they need to match