FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]
Old Jan 9, 2022, 11:30 am
WineCountryUA
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, dave16

Originally Posted by dave16
... I'm a gold flier and my parents (Both 1K) regularly apply plus points to my bookings when I travel for business and I would say it works out probably 75% of the time.

I'll be taking a trip with my gf next month (no status) and my parents want to do the usual Plus Point assignment to our tickets. Is it better for us to be on the same booking or separate, or does it matter at all? (from a confirmation number perspective, i'm not up to speed on on the lingo if this is wrong)
Two conflicting answers

1) Better to be on same PNR as the companion "inherits" your status and status is a key determination of who gets upgraded

2) Better to be on different PNRs if only 1 space opens up -- meaning you would be separated.

If you do not want to be split, single PNR is best.

Note , if you don't clear before boarding, then it is possible still to be split -- mention to the gate agent if you don't want to be split up if at the top of the displayed gate upgrade list