FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Carolina Inn Chapel Hill, NC REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Dec 26, 2021, 11:40 pm
FriendlySkies
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
My Uncle got married at the Carolina Inn back in 2007. Since then, I hadn't been inside as we typically stayed with family outside Chapel Hill. When the Hyatt Place opened at Southern Village in 2017, we began staying there as it was closer to family in Pittsboro..

On my most recent trip to North Carolina, I learned the Carolina Inn was now under the the Hyatt brand and decided to try it out. Paid gov't rates were fairly reasonable for my one night stay.

Overall, this was a great stay and I look forward to returning in the future! All of the staff members I dealt with were friendly and helpful. I know the local area fairly well, though they still offered suggestions for restaurants, sights, etc. Globalist status was recognized and I was offered breakfast in the restaurant (Crossroads). Prior to check-in, I noticed I had been upgraded to the Premium King room when looking at my reservation in the Hyatt app. This was for a Thursday night stay; I had another stay on the following Sunday and was upgraded to the same room type. I had never been inside one of the rooms, though I was impressed. Despite the older style of the room, it was comfortable, had enough outlets and offered plenty of space for my short stay. While I had hoped to get a suite like above, I certainly wouldn't mind getting the same room again!

The Magnolia Pantry on the third floor was a nice touch and offered 24/7 access to some snacks and drinks which is similar to the Rizzo Center, also in Chapel Hill, which offers 24/7 drinks and ice cream. If you don't have a vehicle and want a midnight snack, I think this is a great option. With COVID, it seems a lot of the places around Franklin Street are closing earlier, thus there may not be too many walkable options for something small. I was given access as Globalist, though I can't speak to other ways for getting access. Breakfast at Crossroads on Friday was good and the service was prompt. I ordered the lox/bagel, which was quite good, though my only complaints were the minuscule amount of cream cheese and the fact they only had two types of bagels (plain or everything). Ordered a side of sausage (cooked nicely) and am glad I did as I was still hungry after the lox. Orange juice was supposedly fresh squeezed and tasted pretty good.

Looking forward to my next stay and glad Hyatt has a better presence in the Chapel Hill area (beyond Hyatt Place...) these days.