FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - OWE baggage allowance?
View Single Post
Old Dec 26, 2021, 4:43 am
McCarran

Programs: AY+ Platinum (OWE), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman
Hi all,

Had a strange experience travelling DUS-HEL-JFK on AY yesterday. At checkin at DUS I was told that I had no checked luggage allowance at all, despite being Oneworld Emerald. This was clearly recognised in the booking, I got a lounge invitation and the check-in agent even added a Priority tag to my bag. Nevertheless she insisted on charging me EUR 70 for the privilege. I am a BA Gold = Oneworld Emerald but she (and the supervisor she spoke to on the phone) insisted that the extra allowance is only "on your own airline".

According to my reading of the finnair policy I would be entitled to one bag (0 for Economy Light + 1 extra OWE allowance).

Two questions for you if I may:

1. Am I missing something? Is there an exception to the +1 bag allowance for emeralds?
2. If not, what would be the best way to seek a refund for the fee?

Many thanks in advance for your help!
Had a similar experience in 2019, flying SIN-HKG with Cathay as AY Gold (OWS). We eventually got the bag checked without a fee by simply insisting to have our benefits honored, until the checkin agent simply gave up. So even in the end they did not admit the benefit exists, but gave up the argument to avoid hassle. It was weird. No issue with any other benefits (lounges).

Last edited by McCarran; Dec 26, 2021 at 7:40 am