Finnair | Finnair Plus

OWE baggage allowance?

OWE baggage allowance?

Old Dec 26, 21, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
OWE baggage allowance?

Hi all,

Had a strange experience travelling DUS-HEL-JFK on AY yesterday. At checkin at DUS I was told that I had no checked luggage allowance at all, despite being Oneworld Emerald. This was clearly recognised in the booking, I got a lounge invitation and the check-in agent even added a Priority tag to my bag. Nevertheless she insisted on charging me EUR 70 for the privilege. I am a BA Gold = Oneworld Emerald but she (and the supervisor she spoke to on the phone) insisted that the extra allowance is only "on your own airline".

According to my reading of the finnair policy I would be entitled to one bag (0 for Economy Light + 1 extra OWE allowance).

Two questions for you if I may:

1. Am I missing something? Is there an exception to the +1 bag allowance for emeralds?
2. If not, what would be the best way to seek a refund for the fee?

Many thanks in advance for your help!
Old Dec 26, 21, 3:18 am

Programs: AY+ Lumo (OWE), Accor Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
She was wrong, even OWS gets you one extra bag on all OW airlines. On AY, extra bag benefit also applies to HBO bookings.

Finnair has a feedback and claims form that you need to use.
Old Dec 26, 21, 5:43 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum (OWE), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman View Post
Hi all,

Had a strange experience travelling DUS-HEL-JFK on AY yesterday. At checkin at DUS I was told that I had no checked luggage allowance at all, despite being Oneworld Emerald. This was clearly recognised in the booking, I got a lounge invitation and the check-in agent even added a Priority tag to my bag. Nevertheless she insisted on charging me EUR 70 for the privilege. I am a BA Gold = Oneworld Emerald but she (and the supervisor she spoke to on the phone) insisted that the extra allowance is only "on your own airline".

According to my reading of the finnair policy I would be entitled to one bag (0 for Economy Light + 1 extra OWE allowance).

Two questions for you if I may:

1. Am I missing something? Is there an exception to the +1 bag allowance for emeralds?
2. If not, what would be the best way to seek a refund for the fee?

Many thanks in advance for your help!
Had a similar experience in 2019, flying SIN-HKG with Cathay as AY Gold (OWS). We eventually got the bag checked without a fee by simply insisting to have our benefits honored, until the checkin agent simply gave up. So even in the end they did not admit the benefit exists, but gave up the argument to avoid hassle. It was weird. No issue with any other benefits (lounges).

Last edited by McCarran; Dec 26, 21 at 8:40 am
Old Dec 26, 21, 7:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SK *G, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman View Post
To confirm what others have already said, there should be no exceptions to the OWE +1 bag allowance. I'm BA Gold and have had a bunch of economy and biz light tickets on AY in the last couple of months and have always been able to check in a bag if needed, no questions asked.
Old Dec 26, 21, 4:54 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
Originally Posted by GaryK84 View Post
To confirm what others have already said, there should be no exceptions to the OWE +1 bag allowance. I'm BA Gold and have had a bunch of economy and biz light tickets on AY in the last couple of months and have always been able to check in a bag if needed, no questions asked.
There is one exception actually, but not on AY. But on BA light/basic fares within Europe. Your OWE gets you nothing in terms of free luggage there.

Last edited by EuroFlash; Dec 27, 21 at 2:20 am
Old Dec 26, 21, 7:21 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac King of Coffee, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by EuroFlash View Post
There is one exception actually, but on AY. But on BA light/basic fares within Europe. Your OWE gets you nothing in terms of free luggage there.
True, nothing in the OW policy says anything about AY being excluded; BA's HBO fares are however documented in it.***Extra baggage allowance for Emerald frequent flyers

As an Emerald frequent flyer, the following special checked baggage privileges will apply when you fly on oneworld airlines:
  • On itineraries using the baggage allowance weight system - 20 kgs in addition to the ticketed-cabin allowance.
  • On itineraries using the piece system - one additional bag for free in addition to your ticketed baggage allowance.
Note: This benefit is not available on British Airways' 'Hand Baggage Only/Basic' fares.
Old Dec 27, 21, 3:29 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC Gold, AY+ Platinum, HH Diamond, Nordic Choice Hotels Silver, IHG Diamond Elite, Avis PP
A bit OT, but this really annoys me. Nothing about this is oneworld (read literally).

Since the introduction of unbundled fares, it's a huge pain to understand which tickets includes what with various factors being of relevance here, such as marketing carrier, operating carrier (think codeshares), status (but from which airline?) etc. in order to figure out if one has a bag included or not...
Old Dec 27, 21, 3:33 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
Originally Posted by florens View Post
A bit OT, but this really annoys me. Nothing about this is oneworld (read literally).

Since the introduction of unbundled fares, it's a huge pain to understand which tickets includes what with various factors being of relevance here, such as marketing carrier, operating carrier (think codeshares), status (but from which airline?) etc. in order to figure out if one has a bag included or not...
Yes this also annoys me hugely. Why would there be an exception for BA flights only, I just don't get tit.
What would really make things easy if all airlines within OW would maintain the same fare structure and perks.
Ukki likes this.
Old Dec 31, 21, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Thanks all for your help!

A follow up question about the feedback and claim form: when I visit this page , it asks me to log in or create an account. Is this the right place / do I need such an account? I ask because having status through BA is the whole reason I don't expect to pay for the suitcase and I don't want to appear as a finnair non-status customer.
Old Jan 3, 22, 7:47 am

I had to complain recently to AA about the same issue and they saw my status through the ticket number. Got a full refund!
Old Jun 13, 22, 7:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
After some clarification - if I have a rewards HBO flight with AA would I get the 1 x 32kg 'extra' item?
Old Jun 13, 22, 8:17 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac King of Coffee, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Workie Ticket View Post
After some clarification - if I have a rewards HBO flight with AA would I get the 1 x 32kg 'extra' item?
You as OWE get 3x 32kgs (fourth bag free if traveling in Flagship F) on AA regardless of itinerary as long as it is AA ticketed, one item shouldn't be an issue if it's not AA ticketed.
Workie Ticket likes this.
Old Jun 13, 22, 2:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Juse a note to future readers. travelled LHR/HEL over weekend on Business Light as OWE and no problem with free checked bags.
FFlash likes this.
Old Jun 14, 22, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I just booked a bizz light from Brussels to Bangkok in november and could pick our seats for free as a BA Gold. I found the fare good 3500 E for both of us. Other carriers 4000 E plus

Search this Thread