FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United MileagePlus status extension into 2023
Old Dec 5, 2021, 5:50 am
WasKnown

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
I wonder if it might not have something to do with members' most common flight destinations. For example, if your most common destination is Japan, UA may have bumped you up in status because you would not have been able to fly there for a good part of the year since it has been closed to visitors, which is no fault of the member. I imagine they might have an algorithm that is weighted depending on the accessibility of certain destinations. In other words, if your common flight destinations have been accessible to you year-round, then they won't bump you up since you could have flown there if you wanted to, but others who could not get to their destinations due to lockdowns, etc. are bumped up because they couldn't go there even if they wanted to. It's just a guess.
Interesting theory. I posit that the actual formula is much more random as that is too logical for the nonsense United company.