FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Checkin on UA ticket but first flight not UA operated? Who/Where/BPs/Bag allowance?
Old Dec 3, 2021, 4:04 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lancelot21
Returning to the U.S. CDG-FRA-SFO and trying to figure out my baggage limits. On the outbound (SFO-CDG, first flight on UA), I got the 1K three-bag allowance @70 pounds each. I believe United is the "marketing carrier", since the first flight on my itinerary was (and both trans-Atlantic flights are) on United. So should the three-bag rule continue to apply throughout my itinerary? I fear I am misremembering the rule.

For the return, I am flying LH in coach from CDG to FRA, then United business to SFO. So I need to check in with LH in CDG. My United receipt shows two bags @70 pounds (and says nothing either way about a third). United's baggage checker for my specific itinerary at this point tells me I get one bag@ 50 pounds, though the generic checker (CDG-SFO, with UA as the marketing carrier) shows me getting three bags @70 pounds.

The LH agents in CDG could go different ways, depending on how they interpret the rules. Is it clear I get three bags, or is it at the discretion of the check-in agent in CDG?
It is pretty clear on the LH website:

https://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/baggage-and-other-fees

Originally Posted by LH
The following baggage regulations apply to flights from, to or via the USA/Canada as defined under the consumer protection laws of the US and Canadian authorities (US Department of Transportation and the Canadian Transportation Agency):
  • For all legs of a journey to/from or via the USA or Canada, consistent baggage regulations must be adhered to (e.g. free baggage allowance, size/weight of the baggage, carry-on baggage).
  • The baggage rules set by the airline which is listed first on the ticket are those that usually apply in these cases. If Lufthansa is listed on the first flight segment of your ticket, Lufthansa’s baggage regulations will apply to your entire journey (outbound and return flight). Rules on carry-on baggage may vary (local laws).
  • Exception: Airlines listed first on the ticket can transfer the determination of regulations to the "relevant carrier "(Most Significant Carrier rule). Lufthansa therefore cannot guarantee that, for a Lufthansa-issued ticket, the Lufthansa baggage rules will always apply (other airlines often have different baggage rules).
  • Details of the free baggage allowance for your specific flight are shown on your ticket and in the email confirmation from Lufthansa.
On flights to the USA, locked baggage items may be forcibly opened by the TSA (Transportation Security Administration) for monitoring purposes or if the baggage is deemed suspicious. For this reason, a TSA-approved bag lock is recommended. Further information on TSA procedures is available at http://www.tsa.gov.
3 bags @ 70 lbs should apply, IMO.