FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes
Old Nov 10, 2021, 3:39 pm
PremiumSeat

Programs: AA-EXP, Flying Blue-Silver
Although I’m based out of PHL, historically, I would travel to JFK 2-3 times per year to enjoy the A321-T in Flagship First. Last week, I made the trip up to JFK for the first time since the beginning of the pandemic. While AA is back to charging 2.5K+ each way for First on the A321-T JFK-LAX, the current offering falls WOEFULLY short of the hefty price tag. Here are my observations:

Pros:

Flagship Check-In
FFD (exceptional in every way)
Hard product onboard (seats)
Printed Menus
Bedding
Very attentive F/A
Real French Champagne

Cons:

No FL or FFD at LAX
No PDB
Plastic cups
Just warm nuts after take-off; no longer the nuts/olive combo
No hot towels
No proper salt and pepper shakers – just plastic things
But, most importantly IMO, the current food offering is simply egregious for the price. The last time I flew JFK-LAX in F in December 2019, it was a formal four course restaurant quality meal (appetizer, soup, salad, and entrée – all gorgeous presentations, generous portions, and simply delicious) followed by an ice cream sundae. The “meal” service on this trip consisted of some gross looking beet appetizer (didn’t even bother to unwrap it from the plastic), a hard-as-a-rock piece of bread (at least that’s AA’s allegation), the chicken cacciatore (small portion and bland at best), and some unappealing little tart thing for dessert all served at once on the same tray (saran wrap galore). Overall, an unconscionable offering for the price. If AA wants to offer such a shoddy soft product in the name of “safety” (not pure cost cutting or anything) then they should radically adjust the cost of the fare downward to put it in line with what they’re offering.