FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers (master thread)
Old Nov 10, 2021, 12:09 pm
platbrownguy

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by redtop43
Status generally has nothing to do with SFDC/IRROPS. In IRROPS, AA will usually be flexible in getting you to your destination.

I say usually because I had the following experience a couple of years ago. I'm flying PHL-LAX-LAS, 4PM departure. PHL-LAX goes Mx. I go right to the customer service desk and ask to be rebooked on a 6PM PHL-LAS nonstop. AAgent refuses and says she will only book me on a 5:45PM connection through LAX. I point out to her that this is IRROPS, and not only that but it's Mx, not Wx. AAgent is unmoved. I walk away toward the gate from which the nonstop is leaving (it's in another terminal) and as I do I call AA (this was, I think, pre-COVID when wait times weren't 4 hours) and the phone AAgent moves me to the nonstop.

I don't know what the time trigger is, but I don't try to manipulate the system for a 10-minute delay. When I'm trying to change, it's usually because it's been at least 45 minutes or so. If I feel I'm going to miss my connection, I'll start trying to rebook on the phone at that point.
That's just a bad AAgent. Same thing could happen on the phone (though less likely w/ EXP desk) or even at the AC (though even less likely IME). I personally would never ever go to the "customer service desk" at any airport... those agents have to be the most miserable of all (and justifiably, because they have to deal with all the people who never fly and don't understand anything).