FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers (master thread)
Old Nov 10, 2021, 7:36 am
GrumpyYoungMan

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by FrankMorris
Does anyone know if delayed flights (or other IRROPS) opens up new possibilities for free, confirmed same day flight changes as a EXP or PP on AA? As it stands, if I were PP, I can only SDFC for free with the same destination/departure and same layover city. If my 1p flight is delayed to 1:30p and I'm connecting through DFW, does that open up the possibility as a PP to SDFC for free through PHX? If so, how far in advance, how much of a delay, and is that only something an AA rep/gate agent could do, or does that become available in the app?

My main reason for asking is in thinking through the benefits of confirmed SDFC on UA va AA. UA seems to have a particular advantage here if a weather system pops up on a particular day causing a lot of delays out of a particular airport. With UA, you could be a bit proactive and SDFC through another airport (if possible), whereas AA you can't.
Once stuff starts getting cancelled/major delays, the app usually offers all kinds of alternatives, and AAgents are also more flexible than the usual SDFC.