FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel Expenses: Dumb Things your Company has Done
Old Nov 6, 2021, 5:32 pm
jrl767
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
Yep, happens all of the time. I have a trip next week where there is an Embassy Suites approximately half a mile from my work location. It is in a downtown area, so the hotel charges for parking, and I will have to also pay to park at the customer site. Unfortunately, the room cost at the Embassy Suites is "out of policy" - by $1.00. Instead, I had to book a hotel 4 miles away that is $3.00 less per night. So, instead of parking my rental at the hotel and walking back and forth for the week (and only paying for parking at the hotel), I will be driving each day, and paying for parking on both ends. I will save $6.00 for the week on my room cost, but pay an extra $45 for parking...
how difficult would it be to copy what you wrote here and paste it into an email to your manager (and whoever else approves your expense reports) with a request that they approve the report despite the policy escape?

alternatively, you might reach out to the hotel and speak to a front desk supervisor to ask about manually reducing the room rate by $1 and increasing the parking charge by $1