FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus / COVID-19 : general fact-based reporting
Old Oct 12, 2021, 4:20 am
Donsyb

Programs: Aadvantage platinum; IHG Spire
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Not wishing to seem dismissive, but I've never really understood what the phrase "life-changing" is supposed to mean, it always felt a bit too much like newspeak to me. Hmm....
here’s an example…..

I have a family member who caught covid early on in March 2020. They were in a coma on a ventilator for 3 months. During this time they suffered severe hallucinatory dreams that felt so real when they woke up they didn’t know what was real and what wasn’t. They found this really hard to deal with (as well as having lost 3 months of their life).

since then they have been suffering from PTSD. They also lost pretty much their entire muscle mass and the ability to swallow. They had to be fed via a tube into their stomach for several months whilst they learnt how to swallow again. They still have to have twice weekly physical rehab to rebuild their strength. They get tired very easily and can’t do some things they used to do pre-covid (they were very fit and physically active before). They’re unlikely to get much better than they are now. They have been told that their immune system has been permanently affected and catching flu etc could now be fatal for them.

the psychological affects will stay with them probably forever.