FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dual Citizen; Which Passport to Use when Traveling between Third Countries?
Old Oct 3, 2021, 10:53 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by r0m8470
Hi, have some unique questions about dual passport.
I have both Indonesian and US passports.

1st passport has visa free travel to Schengen area.
2nd passport is accepted for applying for Turkish eVisa.

I plan to travel to Italy, using US passport - don't think it will be an issue since Italy is part of Schengen.
Assuming you meet whatever COVID restrictions are currently in place for Italy, probably fine.

From Italy, I plan to go to Turkey, and will use my Indonesian passport to apply for their eVisa - can I do this?
You need to present your Indonesian passport to the airline at check-in but stamp out of the country by presenting your US Passport to the border officials at the airport. It should not be a problem. People do it all the time. Obviously you present your Indonesian passport when you land in Turkey.

From Turkey, I plan to fly to Singapore. The flight that I have in mind are either KLM or AF flights - which means the route will take me either through AMS or CDG. Will my Indonesian passport got stamped while passing through either hub?
I don't know the requirements for Indonesians traveling in transit through Schengen or US passport holders traveling to Singapore. Others can chime in on this. Obviously, you present your Indonesian passport to the border people at the airport when you leave Turkey and when you land in Singapore if that's how you plan to enter. As far as AMS or CDG, you have the option of going Schengen (if you meet the applicable COVID requirements) using your US Passport; the border officials there would not see/need/stamp your Indonesian passport if you do not hand it to them-- and you would have no reason to. If you are just transiting from IST to Indonesia with a short transit time through AMS or CDG, there is unlikely to be a reason that you would need to enter either country.

In Singapore, I will enter using my Indonesian passport. At Singapore, I will just transit, and fly down to Indonesia. From Indonesia, I will apply for another Turkish eVisa to go back to Istanbul. From Istanbul, I will fly to Milan, but to enter Milan, I will use my US passport. Is the above do-able and/or legal?
It all sounds do-able. As far as your Indonesian passport, no one knows exactly how much data sharing goes on. It is legal as far as each country is individually concerned with each entry and each exit, but Indonesia might not be so amused that you hold 2 passports.

Last edited by Ari; Oct 3, 2021 at 10:59 am