FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)
Old Aug 8, 2021, 12:42 am
futuramadramallama

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Called in today to try to add a connecting flight for HKG - LAX to make it NRT - HKG - LAX instead.

Luckily it sounded like I got a veteran CS agent who knew what she was doing booking CX. All AS agents are super nice and helpful but it sounded like CX takes a bit more work on their end to book, it’s not as simple as other carriers. She was also very talkative and narrated her steps so I have a pretty good understanding of what she did haha.

1. First confirmed space on NRT - HKG segment by itself in J, which itself sounded like a hassle. But she confirmed with me the space is the same as I found on BA.

2. She then had to take back control of the ticket from CX. Unlike other carriers, CX takes control of the ticket for award bookings even when booked through partners after the partner books the tickets.

3. She had to manually release back the J space on the long haul but immediately got it back with a married segment from NRT.

4. Even then, the award space was reserved but CX was being difficult, so she had to transfer to their partner liaison to confirm the ticket. After a few minutes the ticket got confirmed (all on one PNR/confirmation code) with a few more dollars to pay for taxes and fee ex-NRT.

CS agent if you happen to read FT, you’re an absolute allstar! Alaska is the best US program, hands down.
Oh man, this sounds pretty non-trivial.

Pessimistic-me now thinks that most CX bookings are not going to be bookable unless one happens upon a uniquely-skilled agent like the one you had.