FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Unbound Hotel Figueroa, (downtown LA) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Jul 18, 2021, 12:24 pm
Hippo387

Programs: AC 75k, WN CP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dakid23
Booked for a one night stay in two weeks. I will report back.
I just finished a 4-night stay. I booked via Hyatt's website for $153 base rate/night. Normally when in LA for business I stay at the HP Glendale, but this was cheaper* and I decided to try it out (also completed 5th brand for Hyatt BE award).

1. Room is small. I was upgraded from queen to king, and got an 11th floor room facing Figueroa St. The bathroom is TINY. There was space around the bed and the TV is very large (but no real guide channel, just an old-school scrolling list, then you have to manually navigate to the channel). One small loveseat-ish couch positioned such that you cannot watch TV from it. Closet very small, probably 30" wide.

2. Fixtures and vibe are very vintage-hipster. Cool if you are into that kind of thing.

3. This takes the cake: the desk attendant could not/would not check me out when I left because he was doing an "audit." This was at 5am Saturday morning. He took down my email and said he would email my folio, which I received about 90m later. To my great surprise, the total was $100 more than what I booked at. Sure enough, there was a $25/n destination fee. I immediately called (5 min before boarding at LAX) after double-checking my booking. This was a) not disclosed on Hyatt's website; b) not present whatsoever in my confirmation email, and c) not verbally disclosed at checkin, all of which the desk attendant on the phone insisted must have happened. To his credit, he (clearly annoyed) did quickly offer to refund it, almost as if it was a truly known issue. I have not seen the refund yet but expect it to take a couple of days given the charge has not even posted yet. Regardless, despite the fact they just joined Hyatt, this is unacceptable and I imagine a significant number of people will get taken for this until Hyatt's website reflects it. I do plan to contact Hyatt about it as well but want to wait to see if they do in fact refund the $100.

4. If you park, they only offer valet, it is $40/night. I emailed ahead of time to ask the cost because I could not find it on the website and never got a response. There is a surface lot just up from the hotel, at the corner of Figueroa & James Wood Blvd, which is $20 for overnight and very easy. I suggest that over the hotel's parking. 1m walk from car to front door of hotel.

Happy to answer any additional questions I can.

EDIT to add: the $100 refund for the "Destination Fee" did post the same day as the full amount, so at least that was not an issue. Now fighting with Amex because this should have triggered the 10% CB offer on my Amex business card but did not. I am guessing this is another symptom of this hotel not being fully integrated into Hyatt/Destination yet.

Last edited by Hippo387; Aug 1, 2021 at 10:48 pm