FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DL In Flight Service Changes during COVID-19 (Consolidated Thread)
Old Jul 18, 2021, 1:30 am
GrayAnderson

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
I've got a couple of domestic trans-cons in the next few weeks, and *as of now* stand a decent shot of an UG on several. Guess I won't be expecting any meals if they do happen. And, FWIW, it's DL's lack of service in F that caused me to buy Y on these routes and take the UG to C+. I can't justify paying the high F prices without meal service any longer.

DL, if you are listening, you are losing money from your premium customers because of your lack of service. It's simply inexcusable and the whole "Covid thing" is getting old.
I think that just about everyone is sick of Winnie the Flu being used to cover for things. At least in the restaurant/hotel industry, it's arguably "because the pandemic screwed up our manpower models" (nevermind that the underlying question of those models working or not on some level has been suspect given the exceedingly low base wages for many servers, housekeeping staff, etc.). With airlines, it's not like the on-board crew requirements have changed.

But at the rate things are going, even when I'm up for flying again (which presupposes the mask mandate goes away) I'm simply planning not to fly a long-haul flight on Delta until they fix this. I'd say I'd flip to B6, but I'm looking at Mint fares and those are in the stratosphere versus where they used to be...and if I had to guess, it's this being abandoned that's causing a lot of "paid premium" traffic to "fudge over".

(Mint fares seem to be showing up about...I'd say 20-40% higher than they did from what I recall pre-pandemic. Some of that is likely "organic" product growth, but I can't help but point to the Big Three waving their hands at the pandemic as cover to cut costs on otherwise-full flights as an easy source for some traffic...er...flying over there.)