FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Confused about rollover nights this year
View Single Post
Old Jul 14, 2021, 3:12 am
Fanjet
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Amusing thread... that shows how confusing Hilton has made things...

My understanding is that 2020 rollover nights are worthless for determining how many nights will into 2022. Rollover nights ONLY help you reach targets when you wouldn't otherwise get there. They don't help you retain Diamond indefinitely. Otherwise a "credit card Diamond" could say "well, I'm already Diamond so I needed zero nights --> everything rolls forward a year"

In other words, only the actual 2021 nights in bed above 30 will rollover to 2022 for Diamonds.
Actually, how I think it goes based on Hilton's FAQ example posted upthread. It doesn't matter what one's actual status will be in the upcoming year in determining one's rollver night into that year. It's based upon how many nights one stayed in the current year, and what status that would have given otherwise. So, if someone walked into 2021 with 30 rollover nights from 2020, they are automatically Diamond for 2022. If they, in turn, stayed 12 nights this year, they will carry over 7 nights into 2022 (12-5=7). If they stayed 24 nghts this year, they will have 4 rollover nights for next year (24-20=4). If they stayed 36 nights this year, they will have 6 rollover nights for 2022 (36-30=6). Even though not matter what, they will be Diamond for next year.

It's the most convoluted elite rollover scheme I can think of for any program (IHG, Delta). Even more so given that Hilton put the brakes on someone being able to turn 300 stayed nights in one calendar year into 5 consecutive years of Diamond status, by making a rollover night expire after one year.