FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)
Old Jul 8, 2021, 1:36 am
gustavmahler

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Originally Posted by golfmad
I'm posting this in case it's of any use to anyone. The US Embassy in London still refuses to entertain applications for NIE while the applicant is in the USA so it's simply not possible to request one until I'm in the UK. Then of course there's (a) no guarantee of getting one and (b) no timescale other than 'several weeks' for an application to be processed. I am considering trying it anyway as I have essential work to do in the UK. If I can get the timing to work out I will go to London, apply for an NIE and plan to travel back via another (accepted) country. If by some chance I receive the NIE I'll fly back direct. If I travel back indirectly there's a chance that at some point I'll receive the NIE which will be valid for a year. Desperate times call for desperate measures.
Getting an appointment at the Embassy for anything in London is an ordeal. It took months and months to get a time to register our girls' birth (which was in 2019) and do passport applications. We finally got that sorted last month. Now I'm the only non-US citizen in our home!