FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - QF Silver vs. $$$
View Single Post
Old Oct 26, 2004, 10:42 pm
QF WP

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Actually, I liked the "point of order" comment better than your algebraic formulas, QF ExLurker...following on from thadocta's earlier one. Took me back to... where's the Chairman (never mind )

Now that thadocta and Craigo are debating inconsequentials (IMHO ), I see that nobody commented on BNE/ADL, so I will (at 1,008 miles, I believe it's the first Zone 2 travel in QF Domestic sectors to earn 20 SC's for discount SC's or 40 for full SC's)...

Now, back to normal discussion...depending on where the OP lives might dictate whether it is cost-justifiable for him to complete sufficient sectors to qualify for Silver (i.e. getting cheap red e-deals in the next 2 months or flying for work) and if he does, whether the benefits of having Silver status in the next year are actually outweighed by the cost.

It is so hard to look forward to know whether the additional expense now will be worthwhile in the long run. If you don't do much flying next year (less than Silver standard), then it would appear to be money poorly spent. By contrast, if he were doing sufficient flying, (which it appears he will be from his last paragraph in his opening comments), the 25% bonus may gain him sufficient extra FF points to make it worthwhile (but then this would be totally dependent on the sectors he flew and whether the additional points above the 1K minimum threshold would make a material difference).

If he were doing longer sectors (particularly a higher mix of Zone 2 versus Zone 1 flying within Australia), then it would start to be neutrally justifiable.

The status might also get him upgrades (waitlisted or ODU through his one QP visit) that he might not have been able to access as a Bronze. Whilst 1 QP access pass is nice, I doubt that he could drink his cost in HP's to reach the cost justification level - but he could try...