FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi Prestige discontinued (USA).
View Single Post
Old Jul 4, 2021, 6:12 pm
lsquare
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
Hope they are seriously looking at improving the benefits, or permanently ditching it because they don't feel like it. This card was once great, and then lost significant value.

When I first got it many years ago I really valued:
- Generous 4th night free benefit that also allowed you to enjoy hotel elite benefits
- Admirals Club access
- Priority Pass
- Trip Insurance
- Annual fee discount for being Citigold (then later Citi Premier when they downgraded Citigold clients
- Redeeming points for airfare purchases @ $0.015(?)/point

When I canceled it last month the only value left was:
- 5x Restaurants (I stopped charging airfare to this card when the travel benefits went away and switched that to Amex Plat)

The other benefits got so watered down (4th night free), or eliminated (Admirals Club, Insurance, fee discounts), or duplicative (Priority Pass, 5x air) it was time to go.

It's a shell of it's former self and bettered by Amex, even with higher fees. Time to sunset it or improve it.
Originally Posted by Polytonic
My AF is coming up (end of August). I was considering canceling already since the benefits are basically nonexistent now.

I already charge food on an Amex Gold (4x vs. 5x is about the same to me MR vs. TYP) and without travel, there's really no other benefits usable on this card.

I hope they announce whatever is they're doing in the next few weeks.
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I was about to say, it's time for the Prestige's once every 24 month refresh.
As I have stated in other Citi Prestige threads, I wished Citi never devalued the card in the first place. Just raise the AF. I still think the Prestige is a fantastic card for international travelers like me since MC have widespread acceptance. As much as I love AMEX, acceptance is a real issue once you get to Asia. Even Hong Kong, where credit cards are widely used, AMEX have a terrible acceptance rate. I'll be keeping my Prestige for a while since the Priority Pass have real value and the earn rates are excellent in airfare and dining.