FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)
Old Jun 19, 2021, 6:33 am
lost_in_translation

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Off-subject but why?
Many of my friends/relatives, etc... had the Chinese Sinovac vaccine because it was the first vaccine available to them.
Why should they be penalized because of the country that manufactured the vaccine?

I am sorry but I would disagree with your comment this time.
Sorry but the purpose is to vaccinate everyone as fast as we could, not to make Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer, Moderna or AstroZeneca rich.
Ironic you should say this when Russia is engaging in clear price gauging in selling Sputnik to developing countries and Sinopharm / Sinovac arguably have done similar at times, whilst AstraZeneca have committed to make the vaccine available at cost in developing countries whilst the pandemic is ongoing...

The reason they should be penalised is because there is little concrete proof it's as effective as the vaccines in use in the US to date. Yes, it's not 'fair' but I fail to see how this is materially different from banning all non-US residents travelling directly from Schengen/the UK to the US to date, which you seem to have been able to rationalise in this thread. Well, apart from the fact that there is a scientific argument for one whilst it makes almost no scientific sense to ban someone fully vaccinated with Pfizer in the UK/EU from travelling to the US, of course...