FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta weak in Mountain-West despite SLC hub
Old Jun 16, 2021, 1:23 am
Dawgfan6291

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
You would think Delta would have built up SLC-Hawaii for the summer. UA and AA have added lots of capacity and for good reason. With Europe and Asia travel in the toilet it's one of the few places available to vacation. I can remember when SLC had multiple 767's to HNL, OGG, and KOA. ATL for the longest time had an OGG flight as well. Delta has really dropped the ball on Hawaii.
I wouldn't have. I would think LAX/SEA would see most of the Hawaii flying because its easily doable on narrow bodies.

but I believe SLC-HNL is back to a 767, which is actually an up gauge, as it had gone to a 757 pre-COVID IIRC.
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Delta has never been strong in Hawaii. United, Hawaiian, Alaska, and Southwest are all much stronger in the mainland - Hawaii market. Alaska and Southwest are both 21st century additions too.
huh? What is the definition of "stronger"? they may have more flights(I don't know) but its pretty unlikely Southwest, who basically started right before COVID, is stronger than anyone to Hawaii right now as far as profits go.
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
There's zero excuse for not having ATL-OGG. Especially since DFW is a smaller hub but operates it. It would provide one stop service from the east coast. It's not like they have anything better to do with the aircraft right now.
sure there is. If ATL-OGG was profitable, Delta would be doing it.

it makes much more sense to fly everyone over LAX/SLC/OGG with multiple options/frequency instead of what would be a niche market out of ATL (and before you say it, no, in this ATL and DFW aren't comparable. Being ~800 miles west opens up many connection options that aren't logical via ATL.) You'll notice most carriers struggle to make east coast-HNL work, much less OOG. AFAIK only United is flying from the east to OGG and its a vert limited flight.
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
DL has been very weak in Hawaii ever since post-NWA merger. They cut a bunch of PMNW routes like DTW/PDX/SFO-HNL plus gutted the HNL-Asia operation. SLC-Hawaii flying was probably a victim of SEA growth and DL wanting to compete with AS there as it’s more efficient to use narrowbodies out of SEA vs SLC which likely needs a widebody to be sustainable. Right now DL is only at 3x daily on LAX-HNL (down from 4x pre-COVID) and they cut the 763 off the morning flight. They also no longer offer a morning flight from LAX/SEA to either LIH, OGG, or KOA which is a big drawback vs AA/UA which do offer morning flight.
Got data to back that up? You are right on Hawaii-Asia but I believe you'll find Delta is going to be pretty comparable flight wise from what they were right around the merger. (if not larger)
just looking over a NW time table from 1/5/10 i see
yes SFO-HNL was cut but NW was basically down to a handful of weeks out of the year with VERY seasonal service, not even daily service. (looks like it was mostly 3-4x weekly)
The 1 flight (also not daily) out of Portland has been more than covered by the increases in LA and Seattle. (again 4-5x weekly)
NW was 1x each at LAX/SEA-HNL and Delta was 1x LAX-HNL(maybe 2x?). IIRC pre-COVID they were at least around 8 daily flights in each market.

As for DTW-HNL was a one-stop flight via somewhere out west. (looks like SEA but i'm not 100% sure) Either way, DTW/JFK were seasonal routes pre-COVID and I imagine they will come back as other seasonal long haul comes back.

Also on top of all of that, OGG/KOA/LIH have all seen additional capacity from SLC(OGG only), SEA and LAX.