FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread
Old Jun 2, 2021, 1:05 am
flyerCO
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by gooselee
I thought some partners had variable award pricing using DL RDM now, also? I could be wrong...but I assumed if this was the case it would especially be true for the "closely held" or JV partners like AF/KL/AM.

In any case, this is correct that the married segment availability is 100% a requirement in order to avoid additive pricing. I have two data points for this in both directions, granted they are both in late 2019/early 2020 so take into account changes since then:
1. SFO-AMS-LHR booked in business/coach, all on KL metal/KL marketed. This did not have an available award through-fare, and thus priced additively at something like 80k one-way. Sure, I'd have loved to have the whole ticket for 70k or whatever but the long trip was in business and the extra 10k for the complete ticket and flight times I wanted was fine. Also on the KL short haul I had a row to myself anyway so it was essentially the same as euro-business.
2. ATL-YYZ-AMS-BGO//AMS-ATL booked in biz/coach mixed-metal (open jaw; we had a bunch of land/boat stuff to to get from BGO>AMS). The AMS-BGO leg was only showing available in economy, and the website would just show unavailable when I tried to search the full route beyond AMS. So when I called to book I was expecting to pay additive pricing which I was fine with. But the agent surprised me by saying, after about a 20-second search, that a mixed-cabin itinerary was available for the outbound and booked the whole thing for 150k RT. The entire phone call took maybe 15 minutes, including seat selection.
All partners have one level award. Now some awards have AP requirements. Ie LATAM, there's three different awards available. However this is an AP issue. There's no level that gives access to increased inventory simply by paying more miles.