FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Greece - Travel Since Reopening
View Single Post
Old May 28, 2021, 7:58 am
thewayofthefuture

Programs: UA Gold 0.66MM, MR LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dergon darkhelm
That looks really nice, thanks

Yeah. Thanks. I always *say* luxury .... then get sticker shock and go down one or two levels

________

Anyway ... as a basic itinerary for a first timer:

Fly CLE-ATH
1 Night Athens
Fly Athens to Santorini
4 night Santorini
High speed ferry vs fly?? Santorini to Crete
4 nights Crete
Fly Crete to Cle (either via Athens again if I have to or transit in Europe somewhere if vax status is good enough)

I don't think it's too ambitious. Feels OK ... but would totally welcome tweaking before I pull the trigger.

______

Also -- Any comment on the Vendema on Santorini. It's Marriott ... easy enough to just click.

I’m on the Santorini > Heraklion (Crete) high-speed ferry as i type this. Based on my research, this is the most time and cost-effective way to make the trip. Didn’t find any direct air service between the two islands, so you’ll be backtracking to ATH, and the ferry is only 2 hours.

On Santorini, we stayed the last few days at a small place called Ersi Villas, certainly not luxury, and the view is to the East rather than the caldera, but the price was right for a last minute booking and the service was great.

I can’t vouch for the Vendema property but we did consider burning some MR points there. Ultimately decided against it as it’s a bit outside the main towns where we figured to spend a good bit of time. Looks like a lovely place though. And would make for a very quick transfer to the Crete ferry should you decide to go that route.