FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free
Old May 18, 2021, 6:10 pm
atourgates

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by plunet
In summary, no.

The only significant difference is that if your layover exceeds 24hrs then it does not count as a transit, it assumes you will be leaving the airport, and therefore you need to be admissible into Qatar and the borders need to be open, have the necessary paperwork, etc. Also when you exceed 24hrs layover your luggage will not be checked through and you have collect and recheck at Doha. Conversely less then 24hrs, you need to have everything you need for your Doha stay in hand luggage as you will not usually be permitted to short check.

I think for the +Qatar you needed a layover of at least 12 hours (my memory might be playing tricks on me) and therefore in the original promo destructions published by Qatar it even stated that you had to book as a multicity to be eligible for +Qatar. In reality it didn't matter so long as your transit time exceeded the necessary 12 hours to qualify for the promo.
Thanks - I found the FAQ on the stopover program, and you're correct, 12+ hours. https://qatarairways.zendesk.com/hc/...Qatar-Stopover

Now I just need to decide if our kids will do better on 2 long flights with a 12+ hours break in-between, or if it's best just to get them back on a plane so they can sleep for the 2nd leg. I know when I was a kid and we'd fly US -> Europe -> Africa (in Y), I'd always be wired and awake for the US - Europe leg, then get exhausted and sleep for most of the Europe -> Africa leg. Qatar's never been a destination I expected to travel to, but it'd also be fun to spend a few hours checking it out.

Also the question of how likely things are to be back to "normal" by then. I mean, I assume they will be, but I never assumed the pandemic would last this long either.