FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Diamond room upgrade - better to just arrive @ hotel or request a day or two before?
Old May 7, 2021, 11:53 am
Global Adventurer

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by arlflyer
If a property sends any sort of pre-arrival email, it's often from a real address (e.g. a concierge or someone in sales, not a no-reply unmonitored box). In those cases I've almost always gotten a good response from replying to the message asking if any Diamond upgrades might be available. Definitely worth doing when it is applicable.
"If" 😃

I recall once requesting an upgrade through Hilton app and the message stated something like they will check when I arrive.

Then the next day I received an email that stated they are unable to upgrade me, and I was a diamond. But, when I arrived I was upgraded.

And also, some hotels have upgraded rooms that are regular rooms and just not classified as an upgraded room.

Like, one place I stayed, they had property view rooms as standard and creek view rooms as an upgrade. But several rooms had both views, and we're standard rated rooms. So, that's why generally I only book standard rooms and hope for an upgrade. But, if the property is iffy, I book what I want so I won't be stuck in a room I don't want.