Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Diamond room upgrade - better to just arrive @ hotel or request a day or two before?

Diamond room upgrade - better to just arrive @ hotel or request a day or two before?

Old May 6, 21, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: whatever it takes

About to stay at several Hilton branded hotels in Turkey, and I was wondering, do you think it is better to just arrive and ask for a Diamond upgrade OR hope they have pre-upgraded you, or contact the hotel ahead? [Tourism is of course down, and I'll be in Turkey this month...just after lockdown. So occupancy rate should be pretty low - no Russians or Iranians or UK...3 of the biggest foreign markets]

I've never contacted a hotel ahead for an upgrade from any chain.

I just show up and with pretty good success (At hotels where it matters, so to speak) I've been upgraded or they reserved one of the better rooms for me. (IHG and Radisson are other chains I have high enough status that have helped. Marriott...not high enough - only Gold. Hyatt - got my a nice ocean view room recently w/ Explorist)

Trying to think back to my Hilton stays.

Curio Campbell House Lexington, KY (2018? or thereabouts) - no upgrade. Smallish room.
Conrad Punta de Mita (2020) - upgrade on arrival to awesome suite (low occupancy when I was there). When I did ask for an upgrade, they had already given/reserved it for me.
Hampton Inn Lordsburg, NM - not really relevant. Maybe a higher floor room?
Hampton Inn Panama City, Panama (early 2020) - upgraded to a large 2-room suite on a high floor. I did ask for an upgrade I think. They were pretty busy / sold out? at the time.
Hilton Reykjavik, Iceland (2017?) - requested upgrade on arrival at check-in and they put me in a nice ocean view room. Good view side of the hotel. I think originally they had me in a city view room.

Hampton Montevideo, Uruguay - not really relevant, but they did put me in a high floor lake view room, it was nice. New-ish hotel so it was pretty empty. (They do have suites apparently, but didn't get that, didn't ask either I don't think. Not sure if I had Diamond at the time)
Home2Suites Arizona - not relevant. All rooms the same I think. I want to say it was an end room, so quieter?
Homewood Suites - San Diego area. View of an office park...so not really relevant. But I liked the room, it was quiet and spacious.

What's your plan usually?

Last edited by EqualOpp; May 6, 21 at 10:56 pm
Old May 7, 21, 1:39 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriot Platinum, IHG Platinum, Choice Privilege Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by EqualOpp View Post
About to stay at several Hilton branded hotels in Turkey, and I was wondering, do you think it is better to just arrive and ask for a Diamond upgrade OR hope they have pre-upgraded you, or contact the hotel ahead? [Tourism is of course down, and I'll be in Turkey this month...just after lockdown. So occupancy rate should be pretty low - no Russians or Iranians or UK...3 of the biggest foreign markets]

I've never contacted a hotel ahead for an upgrade from any chain.

I just show up and with pretty good success (At hotels where it matters, so to speak) I've been upgraded or they reserved one of the better rooms for me. (IHG and Radisson are other chains I have high enough status that have helped. Marriott...not high enough - only Gold. Hyatt - got my a nice ocean view room recently w/ Explorist)

Trying to think back to my Hilton stays.

Curio Campbell House Lexington, KY (2018? or thereabouts) - no upgrade. Smallish room.
Conrad Punta de Mita (2020) - upgrade on arrival to awesome suite (low occupancy when I was there). When I did ask for an upgrade, they had already given/reserved it for me.
Hampton Inn Lordsburg, NM - not really relevant. Maybe a higher floor room?
Hampton Inn Panama City, Panama (early 2020) - upgraded to a large 2-room suite on a high floor. I did ask for an upgrade I think. They were pretty busy / sold out? at the time.
Hilton Reykjavik, Iceland (2017?) - requested upgrade on arrival at check-in and they put me in a nice ocean view room. Good view side of the hotel. I think originally they had me in a city view room.

Hampton Montevideo, Uruguay - not really relevant, but they did put me in a high floor lake view room, it was nice. New-ish hotel so it was pretty empty. (They do have suites apparently, but didn't get that, didn't ask either I don't think. Not sure if I had Diamond at the time)
Home2Suites Arizona - not relevant. All rooms the same I think. I want to say it was an end room, so quieter?
Homewood Suites - San Diego area. View of an office park...so not really relevant. But I liked the room, it was quiet and spacious.

What's your plan usually?
On site has worked for me much better. And you also get a better feel for where the room is. And they can provide tidbits of information on why a certain room might be a better choice, especially in hotels that have different types of rooms to upgrade to.

I've been upgraded on the app, and on arrival upgraded again to another type room.

However, if I have a late arrival, I always try to get upgraded via the app because an upgraded room most likely will be sold out when I arrive.
EqualOpp likes this.
Old May 7, 21, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer View Post
On site has worked for me much better. And you also get a better feel for where the room is. And they can provide tidbits of information on why a certain room might be a better choice, especially in hotels that have different types of rooms to upgrade to.

I've been upgraded on the app, and on arrival upgraded again to another type room.

However, if I have a late arrival, I always try to get upgraded via the app because an upgraded room most likely will be sold out when I arrive.
Good point on arrival time. I'll be driving to a couple of HIlton portfolio properties.I won't arrive too late to one of them..because it's a high end one I want to enjoy...but I'll keep my arrival time vs requesting an upgrade in mind.
Old May 7, 21, 9:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond

Good point on arrival time. I'll be driving to a couple of HIlton portfolio properties.I won't arrive too late to one of them..because it's a high end one I want to enjoy...but I'll keep my arrival time vs requesting an upgrade in mind.
It could work the other way round no, similarly to car hire places? Maybe more so in touristy areas, but the cheaper rooms are filled up quicker leading to oversales in the cheaper rooms pushing up the late arriving status guests. But maybe I'm wrong!
EqualOpp likes this.

Last edited by Schwann; May 7, 21 at 9:15 am
Old May 7, 21, 9:17 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriot Platinum, IHG Platinum, Choice Privilege Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Yes. I remember one time I knew I wasn't going to arrive until 10pm, and I wasn't upgraded on the app, but noticed there were only even a few regular rooms left to select for my stay so I went ahead and picked a room at the end of the hallway because I had a feeling the hotel was going to have a high occupancy rate that week for some reason.

Anyway, when I arrived the clerk told me all upgrades were gone, but he asked if he could move me to a room with a better view than at the end of the hallway. I told him no thanks. He said all the hotels were almost fully booked due to a soccer tournament (Edit: Baseball Tournament). So, I was glad I had booked the room I did, top floor end of hallway to avoid the noise.

​​​​

Last edited by Global Adventurer; May 7, 21 at 9:24 am
Old May 7, 21, 11:35 am

If a property sends any sort of pre-arrival email, it's often from a real address (e.g. a concierge or someone in sales, not a no-reply unmonitored box). In those cases I've almost always gotten a good response from replying to the message asking if any Diamond upgrades might be available. Definitely worth doing when it is applicable.
EqualOpp likes this.
Old May 7, 21, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
If a property sends any sort of pre-arrival email, it's often from a real address (e.g. a concierge or someone in sales, not a no-reply unmonitored box). In those cases I've almost always gotten a good response from replying to the message asking if any Diamond upgrades might be available. Definitely worth doing when it is applicable.
"If" 😃

I recall once requesting an upgrade through Hilton app and the message stated something like they will check when I arrive.

Then the next day I received an email that stated they are unable to upgrade me, and I was a diamond. But, when I arrived I was upgraded.

And also, some hotels have upgraded rooms that are regular rooms and just not classified as an upgraded room.

Like, one place I stayed, they had property view rooms as standard and creek view rooms as an upgrade. But several rooms had both views, and we're standard rated rooms. So, that's why generally I only book standard rooms and hope for an upgrade. But, if the property is iffy, I book what I want so I won't be stuck in a room I don't want.
EqualOpp likes this.
Old May 7, 21, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Schwann View Post
It could work the other way round no, similarly to car hire places? Maybe more so in touristy areas, but the cheaper rooms are filled up quicker leading to oversales in the cheaper rooms pushing up the late arriving status guests. But maybe I'm wrong!
You're not wrong, but neither is Global Adventurer.

Different hotels will use different methods to handle overbooked standard rooms on a busy night. As someone who worked for years at a hotels, I'd even say that different Front Desk Managers/Supervisors will handle the situation differently.

As such, there's not a one-size-fits-all answer.

The same holds true for EqualOpp's query on the best way to get an upgrade. Many hotels will grant an early upgrade via call/email from a top-tier elite frequent guest. Other hotels will follow the Terms and Conditions to the letter (upgrades are "based on availability at the time of arrival") because they want to keep their premium rooms open for sale as long as possible on the miniscule chance that multiple guests decide they need a suite at the last minute.

Unless you know who a certain hotel handles upgrades (which would be a very weird thing to know unless you were a repeat guest), it's tough to know the best way to procure one. But, I will say that there's no real downside to calling/emailing in advance and asking. As long as you're not pushy or act entitled, the worst case scenario is being told that upgrades aren't handed out until the day of arrival.
Old May 7, 21, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by writerguyfl View Post
You're not wrong, but neither is Global Adventurer.

Different hotels will use different methods to handle overbooked standard rooms on a busy night. As someone who worked for years at a hotels, I'd even say that different Front Desk Managers/Supervisors will handle the situation differently.

As such, there's not a one-size-fits-all answer.

The same holds true for EqualOpp's query on the best way to get an upgrade. Many hotels will grant an early upgrade via call/email from a top-tier elite frequent guest. Other hotels will follow the Terms and Conditions to the letter (upgrades are "based on availability at the time of arrival") because they want to keep their premium rooms open for sale as long as possible on the miniscule chance that multiple guests decide they need a suite at the last minute.

Unless you know who a certain hotel handles upgrades (which would be a very weird thing to know unless you were a repeat guest), it's tough to know the best way to procure one. But, I will say that there's no real downside to calling/emailing in advance and asking. As long as you're not pushy or act entitled, the worst case scenario is being told that upgrades aren't handed out until the day of arrival.
In my one example, they sold or upgraded all those suites to large families that needed extra room with kids. I was there for 10 nights, and saw that all the suites were booked. And a few standard rooms still available. So, I know I wasn't being lied to. Also, glad I didn't do housekeeping there. Those rooms were trashed.
Old May 8, 21, 12:02 am

Programs: UA*G, AA PLT, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
In my one example, they sold or upgraded all those suites to large families that needed extra room with kids. I was there for 10 nights, and saw that all the suites were booked. And a few standard rooms still available. So, I know I wasn't being lied to. Also, glad I didn't do housekeeping there. Those rooms were trashed.
Are they booked or locked ? Hotels are just like airlines that can lock certain rooms / seats for people that have certain status / VIP status and only the on duty manager can released those rooms, it will appeared they are booked but actually they are not, I learned that from a few properties that I frequent.

Suites are rarely given as upgrades just because a party of 5 need extra space, it is more likely given to singles or couples that have high status and only there for 1 or 2 nights as they still try to sell the room on other days, so long term stay 5 nights or longer is unlikely that you would get upgrade to a suite from the lowest category room, some properties may still do it if you book a room that is one category below a suite
EqualOpp likes this.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; May 8, 21 at 12:15 am
Old May 8, 21, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG View Post
Are they booked or locked ? Hotels are just like airlines that can lock certain rooms / seats for people that have certain status / VIP status and only the on duty manager can released those rooms, it will appeared they are booked but actually they are not, I learned that from a few properties that I frequent.

Suites are rarely given as upgrades just because a party of 5 need extra space, it is more likely given to singles or couples that have high status and only there for 1 or 2 nights as they still try to sell the room on other days, so long term stay 5 nights or longer is unlikely that you would get upgrade to a suite from the lowest category room, some properties may still do it if you book a room that is one category below a suite
I don't know, all I know was it looked like all of them were occupied with baseball participants.
Old May 8, 21, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG View Post

Good thing the place I would like to get an upgrade the most is only a 2 night stay then.

The others are 1 night and 3 nights.
Old May 8, 21, 10:00 am

Programs: Hilton Honors
There is no realistic answer to this question past take a guess and hope for the best because literally every property handles upgrades differently from having firm policies to making it up day by day or shift by shift. Full service is not limited service and US based properties bear little resemblance to European properties yet all operate under the Hilton umbrella.

At the Hampton I work at now, there is no oversight as to how suites are handed out and as long as I'm not overselling a room type I can upgrade whomever I want from a family of five that needs extra space to the 3rd party reservation over a nine million point Diamond to deciding that no one gets a suite. Rooms are never blocked off or held back. If it's been cleaned, it's up for grabs. Is that how it is everywhere? Of course not but FWIW, I've been with Hilton affiliated properties for going on thirteen years and both places I've been at have worked exactly the same way under several GM's/owners/management companies.

Also I would be very wary of trying to contact the property via the app as that is not a guaranteed way by a long shot to get their attention. Some places have any app messages routed to the GM's email which obviously is useless to an arrival if that person is still not on property. Some places route it to a generic Gmail account that may or may not get checked by whomever is working that shift/day and some use the Kipsu messaging service and that still goes back to the person working that shift or the shift prior needs to be checking it or else it won't help you. If pressed, my advice would always be to call the property no earlier than the day prior but ideally the day of and go from there.
Old May 8, 21, 12:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
In my experience, I am usually upgraded in the app, or not at all
Old May 8, 21, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I have to admit, the thought of asking for an upgrade prior to arrival (particularly by phone) does make me cringe a bit. I suppose an email with hints like "Oh, it'll be our anniversary" or details about a special occasion or reason for stay would allow whoever reads it to read behind the lines.

IMO you can measure the quality of a hotel/stay if they've pre-upgraded you in the app.
EqualOpp likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: