FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Two Identical Stays - Only one of them is eligible for points.
Old May 7, 2021, 11:04 am
somthee

Programs: United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by ckpeter
I will make no comment on the morality of the situation, but for your second reservation, did you actually book it under your account? And did your family somehow went to the front desk and told them that you weren't staying in the room, or removed your name from the reservation?

Otherwise, unless the hotel was tracking your by surveillance, given that you both checked in and checked out, I don't see how they would know that you are not staying in the room.
I booked the reservation under my Bonvoy account in the app. The hotel picked them up at the airport with the shuttle, so I had their name in the reservation so the shuttle wont refuse them. I went to the hotel directly, submitted my ID and gave my Credit card and the hotel assigned a room and the key was given to them directly as I looked from a distance. All through the stay I was able to use the app to help them with room service and so on, the app also had the mobile key which was not used as they were not allowed to come out of the room. Parents went to the room directly without meeting me with their luggage and were in their rooms to get a negative covid test result. Once they got their test result on day 3 I went there to pick them up. I stopped by the front desk, they double checked any dues and gave me a bill. The bill just listed my address, reservation number and the total charges and had no name mine or theirs. The previous situation was exactly the same, same hotel except that was my in-laws. I am not sure if there was surveillance but this is a govt mandated stay, so the hotel also provided meals and snacks till they stayed, so the hotel folks knew it was my elderly parents and not me. Charging close to $500 a night as against $80 at the same hotel, same time for normal guests who are not part of the govt quarantine. After spending $1500 for a $300 stay at the airport hotel, I thought I should atleast get the points, Anyway, it seems the consensus of the board is, I got lucky in the first instance.