Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Two Identical Stays - Only one of them is eligible for points.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2021, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus

I booked two stays for about 3 days each one for March and one for April for Govt quarantine in Toronto. In both the cases, I booked the stay with my app, paid from my own credit card. I personally went to the hotel to check them in and check them out. The people staying were family members. For the first stay I got the points credited and for the second one, I got no credit. I sent a missing stay request, was told the second stay is not eligible because I only booked and paid for the stay but my name was not on the reservation. I was there for check out and check in, I spent close to $1500 for 3 days and got nothing. What might have been the reason?
Old May 7, 2021, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by somthee
What might have been the reason?
Because you didn't actually stay personally at the hotel and are trying to cheat the system... Consider yourself lucky that the first stay posted...
Old May 7, 2021, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Because you didn't actually stay personally at the hotel and are trying to cheat the system... Consider yourself lucky that the first stay posted...
Oh, cheating!!! I didnt know if I book the hotel in bonvoy, pay for my parents to stay is somehow considered cheating the system. And I should be lucky like you said I guess.
c502cid likes this.
Old May 7, 2021, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Oh, cheating!!! I didnt know if I book the hotel in bonvoy, pay for my parents to stay is somehow considered cheating the system. And I should be lucky like you said I guess.
I could point you to the terms & conditions, but I suspect you don't care...
SPN Lifer, kilo, etkuo and 10 others like this.
Old May 7, 2021, 10:35 am

I will make no comment on the morality of the situation, but for your second reservation, did you actually book it under your account? And did your family somehow went to the front desk and told them that you weren't staying in the room, or removed your name from the reservation?

Otherwise, unless the hotel was tracking your by surveillance, given that you both checked in and checked out, I don't see how they would know that you are not staying in the room.
Old May 7, 2021, 10:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I booked two stays for about 3 days each one for March and one for April for Govt quarantine in Toronto. In both the cases, I booked the stay with my app, paid from my own credit card. I personally went to the hotel to check them in and check them out. The people staying were family members. For the first stay I got the points credited and for the second one, I got no credit. I sent a missing stay request, was told the second stay is not eligible because I only booked and paid for the stay but my name was not on the reservation. I was there for check out and check in, I spent close to $1500 for 3 days and got nothing. What might have been the reason?
The reason is that you didn’t actually stay there. The first stay credit was an error. It’s all there in the T&Cs.
Old May 7, 2021, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If you booked it through your account and your name was on the res which is what it sounds like, then the system should've given you credit.

The hotel has no way of knowing who else you were staying with or your whereabouts unless you actually told them that you're not staying there or your family members changed the name on the res while there.
Old May 7, 2021, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ckpeter
I will make no comment on the morality of the situation, but for your second reservation, did you actually book it under your account? And did your family somehow went to the front desk and told them that you weren't staying in the room, or removed your name from the reservation?

Otherwise, unless the hotel was tracking your by surveillance, given that you both checked in and checked out, I don't see how they would know that you are not staying in the room.
I booked the reservation under my Bonvoy account in the app. The hotel picked them up at the airport with the shuttle, so I had their name in the reservation so the shuttle wont refuse them. I went to the hotel directly, submitted my ID and gave my Credit card and the hotel assigned a room and the key was given to them directly as I looked from a distance. All through the stay I was able to use the app to help them with room service and so on, the app also had the mobile key which was not used as they were not allowed to come out of the room. Parents went to the room directly without meeting me with their luggage and were in their rooms to get a negative covid test result. Once they got their test result on day 3 I went there to pick them up. I stopped by the front desk, they double checked any dues and gave me a bill. The bill just listed my address, reservation number and the total charges and had no name mine or theirs. The previous situation was exactly the same, same hotel except that was my in-laws. I am not sure if there was surveillance but this is a govt mandated stay, so the hotel also provided meals and snacks till they stayed, so the hotel folks knew it was my elderly parents and not me. Charging close to $500 a night as against $80 at the same hotel, same time for normal guests who are not part of the govt quarantine. After spending $1500 for a $300 stay at the airport hotel, I thought I should atleast get the points, Anyway, it seems the consensus of the board is, I got lucky in the first instance.
Old May 7, 2021, 11:15 am

Programs: Yes
I agree with the others.. you should consider yourself fortunate that you received points for the first stay. There is no issue with gifting stays to others, but attempting to earn points or status through reservations utilized by other people is against the T&C's, and most people would recognize such actions as an abuse of the program.

Here's the link: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi
Old May 7, 2021, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rylan
If you booked it through your account and your name was on the res which is what it sounds like, then the system should've given you credit.

The hotel has no way of knowing who else you were staying with or your whereabouts unless you actually told them that you're not staying there or your family members changed the name on the res while there.
We're talking about a government-mandated quarantine for arrivals to a country.

Maybe the government isn't really checking up, but it's complete nonsense to have the quarantined actual guests anonymous so the OP can get their points...

FWIW It probably also breaks the law for people supposedly doing quarantine to be meeting family members at a hotel who check-in on their behalf and then go home.
Adam1222 and anteater like this.
Old May 7, 2021, 3:53 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
wow tough crowd.

If you booked under your name and your parents stayed there I think you should have received the points. If it was under their names then I understand why you did not receive points.
Mahogany likes this.
Old May 7, 2021, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fwfdan
wow tough crowd.

If you booked under your name and your parents stayed there I think you should have received the points. If it was under their names then I understand why you did not receive points.
Have you tried this with an airline?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 7, 2021, 4:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Tough crowd? Maybe I could get all my friends and family staying all their holidays with Marriott. Yippee, that’s 400 nights a year and Ambassador for me and I never stayed a night!!
SPN Lifer and anteater like this.
Old May 7, 2021, 4:52 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Totally different thing... and you know that.

Originally Posted by stuartpig
Tough crowd? Maybe I could get all my friends and family staying all their holidays with Marriott. Yippee, that’s 400 nights a year and Ambassador for me and I never stayed a night!!
I have more than once booked a hotel room under my name for my parents and paid for the room (not sure I got points for them - It was a long time ago while they were still alive and I was a big time priceline bidding user @ the time). I checked in for them before they arrived and put stuff in the room for them. It was more comfortable for an older couple and gave them a bathroom of their own.

I think the pearl clutching is a bit over the top. This sounded like a question and an easy answer would have been more along the lines of what I said rather than the accusations of fraud and illegal activity.

Guess I just don't automatically think the worst of people....
mecabq, rickg523 and donotblink like this.
Old May 7, 2021, 4:58 pm

I sent a missing stay request, was told the second stay is not eligible because I only booked and paid for the stay but my name was not on the reservation. What might have been the reason?
It's a frequent guest program, not one that rewards the people who pay the bills. But, here's the exact part of the Terms and Conditions that provides the reason:

"2.1.d. Qualifying Stay. A “Stay" or “Qualifying Stay” means all consecutive nights a Member registers for, and personally pays and stays at any Participating Property, for which (i) the room is billed to the Member, or (ii) the guest room is direct billed to the company who has arranged payment for the Member’s stay that is not associated with a convention or group meeting."
Source:
https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi

I was there for check out and check in, I spent close to $1500 for 3 days and got nothing.
Nothing...unless you count the hotel room.

Originally Posted by ckpeter

No hotel is conducting bed checks.

As someone who used to work in hotels, I'd guess that one of the people staying in the room lost a room key (or it got deactivated). When that person went to the Front Desk to resolve the issue, the staff asked some questions to verify identity. In that process, they discovered the fact that the OP wasn't staying at the hotel.
SPN Lifer and anteater like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.